It just gets better...

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 16. Jul 2019, 12:04 in Living with arthritis
...not!
This year hasn't been great healthwise for me, but nothing there was any point going to the doctor about. However an ongoing foot problem was getting worse rather than better(possibly not helped by an accident at work) and, mindful of the number of weeks to wait for an appointment I thought I had better book one. No go. The surgery is booked up until end of August and so isn't taking any more.I'll have to try again when they open the book again, and no she didn't know when that would be - possibly a couple of weeks time, and it would be for appts in September. The other alternative is phoning on the day my GP is in to see if there's a cancellation. I've never yet been successful doing that, even for urgent appointments with any GP. When I said, to myself rather than to the receptionist, "I'll be going to A&E at this rate", she then offered an appointment with a nurse practitioner this afternoon. Don't know whether that was coincidence, and I don't know if it'll achieve anything, but it's better than nothing. I suspect the fact that I didn't rant and rave, and in fact said right at the start "I understand the problem and I know it'll likely be at least a 6 week wait", may have helped.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Better, sometimes, to bite the bullet and get things checked out. I think, being used to dealing with chronic pain / problems, we can be inclined to soldier on for too long with things forgetting that, occasionally, if we get lucky, stuff can be fixed.

Yes, our poor NHS is itself in need of some TLC and an injection of a magic potion.

I hope you find your appointment useful. Personally, I'm happy to see one of our practice nurses. They seem very knowledgeable, have a good bedside manner and, if necessary, can refer us on quickly to either a GP or consultant. I hope you have fared as well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    Sticky, I didn't phrase my comment about the nurse practitioner very well - I wasn't implying that such a person was an unsuitable alternative to the GP. In fact I'm pleased that the practice has finally woken up to the contribution such people can make,have taken on another since last year and are actually making appointments with them, rather than the previous arrangement which was for the GPs to sort through their list and decide who would get the NP on the basis of what the reason for the appointment was. I can imagine that didn't always go down well with patients if they had booked to see the GP.
    As it happens it was a worthwhile appt. The NP was concerned about what I was experiencing and what he could feel so has requested an Xray. When the results of that come back he will see me again to discuss what, if anything, needs to be done next.
  • stickywicket
    Daffy, I didn't, for one moment, think you were saying nurse practitioners were not very useful. I simply thought you might not have had as much to do with them as I have and, as my experiences have all been good, I wanted to share that.

I'm pleased he was thorough and that something will be done. I hope it helps one way or another.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Daffy, I am sorry that 2019 is not going that smoothly for you. I hope that this situation can be resolved sooner rather than later to enable things to generally improve. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, thinking of you. ((( ))) DD
  • daffy2
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, thinking of you. ((( ))) DD

Much appreciated DD, and your thinking seems to be efficacious; I felt quite a bit better this morning, both physically and mentally. It may not last but it was most welcome today as work was 'one of those days' and everyone was challenged.
  • dreamdaisy
    I am pleased to hear it and wish I was genuinely that efficacious! Imagine the Power of the Daisy being real. :lol: I hope the improvement lasts, my lovely, you deserve it. DD
  • daffy2
    An update. The Xray appt came through quickly and I didn't even have to wait around at the hospital on the day as they were using the Emergency department facilities in addition to Radiology, and it was quiet - in fact I was seen ahead of my appt time, the bus having got me there 15 mins early - didn't even have time to sit down properly! When I got home there was a message from the surgery asking me to phone them which panicked me rather but it turned out that the report had come back already('Satisfactory') and they wanted me to make an appt with the Nurse Practitioner to discuss it. Bit of a change from previous Xrays when there have been delays sending over the report sometimes and then always the very long wait for the GP appt. One extreme to the other!
    I saw the NP today and we discussed what next. The foot has improved quite a bit although there is still a fair bit of joint pain, but I think that's 'just' the progress of the OA, exacerbated by the injury. Turns out that he was worried I had broken/displaced something(hence the quick referral presumably), and was pleased that wasn't the case, but thinks that physio would be advisable to strengthen the arch. That's a self-referral process so I need to phone up and see what gives.
  • stickywicket
    That all sounds rather good, daffy, apart from the continued pain :roll: Who would have thought it :wink:

I'm glad it all went quickly and smoothly and I think physio is a good option. I hope that helps, as every little does. It would be nice if it would come along as quickly as everything else.
    Steven Wright