A solution for dry mouths

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 4. Jul 2019, 05:01 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd drop in and share a solution I've found for a dry mouth. Like other arthritis sufferers this is something I've endured for years. I've tried chewing gum, sucking mints, eating fruity sweets which only give very brief relief and my dentist doesn't feel is a great idea.

After a migraine episode and an even more dry mouth because I was dehydrated I talked to my pharmacist to see what could help. He offered me a spray ....but having deformed fingers I couldn't administer this myself ....and then he said there were gums I could suck which stimulated the salivary glands making the mouth moist.

These are brilliant and even when I wake in the night I pop a gum in and hold it between my gum and cheek where it very slowly dissolves making my mouth moist and comfortable. They're sugar free, a mellow taste and come in 2 types. One with fluoride and the other without. The gums/pastilles are called Slavifix and are bought over the counter in pharmacists. I don't know if they're available on prescription and they might not suit everyone so check with your GP/pharmacist before trying them but I thoroughly recommend them.

Now as I no longer post on here regularly you may have all discussed these before or indeed other methods so this could be a resurrection of old news. But for me it's great news and well worth sharing so I thought I'd call in and give you all a wave! a055.gif

Love,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey, long time no see :D I thought you must have been cured :lol:

Sometimes the simple ways are the best, aren't they? I'm a big champion of pharmacists.

We get a fair few posts on dry eyes but fewer on dry mouths. It's not a problem for me but I did notice (Oh Gawd! It was about 30 years ago now :roll: ) that I was preferring moist food to dry and that dry food was actually quite difficult to eat. Now that I'm in Scotland, I'm having to pass on Burns Night. i do like haggis but haggis, neaps and tatties is just far too dry a meal for me. Now, I know your solution will be most acceptable to me. Yes, Legs, I do drink more wine with it :D but, even so.......

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it works for chemo. I had a mouth like a rusty nail when I was on chemo :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Lovely to see you Sticky k015.gif and thanks for replying. :D

As long as your salivary glands work the gums/pastilles just give them a little kick up the backside ....do salivary glands have backsides??? e055.gif

I hope you're not planning on any more chemo atm!
    :shock:

And, no, sadly I'm not cured but I'm mentally on top of things and I think that the major battle with arthur!

Had my face-to-face PIP assessment this morning so I'm drained right now. I'm also facing shoulder replacements, in fact I shall 'search' for posts so I can see how others have fared.

This forum is, and always has been, a mine of information worth dipping into. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Legs, it's lovely to see your name again. I may well be facing a PIP interview soon - wish me luck as I wave my DLA goodbye. :roll:

Re shoulder replacements Crinkly 1 has done a terrific thread charting her progress after her operation; it might not be relevant but I'll find it and bump it up. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Hi DD,

Thank you for finding Crinkly1's thread, it's very informative. :D

I do wish you luck with your PIP Assessment especially the face-to-face interview. Much depends on who your assessor is but mine did grill me yesterday.

I was told it would be a 45 minute interview and mine took nearly an hour and half! I was emotional because I hate facing up to all I can't do because it makes me feel absolutely worthless.....
    ......but that was yesterday and I've bounced back today. a050.gif

My assessor did keep saying it's ridiculous people like me are called in when my disability is so very obvious.

Anyway I just have to wait for my decision now.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You're more than welcome, Legs, I hope the thread was of interest. I returned my PIP form in mid-June and have no idea when I will hear. I do not know if everyone is summoned because we never hear from those who have no trouble - surely they exist! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    lindalegs wrote:
    I hate facing up to all I can't do because it makes me feel absolutely worthless.....

Not worthless but priceless :D

I know what you mean. I once got so annoyed filling in a form for summat or other that I tore into them saying my whole life consisted of overcoming my limitations, finding ways round things and forgetting about what I couldn't do and now they wanted me to concentrate hard on all my failures and list them. The form was scorched by the time I'd finished but it worked :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright