Advice please for a computer mouse

DennyB
DennyB Member Posts: 7
edited 3. Jul 2019, 16:19 in Living with arthritis
My rheumatoid arthritis in my right hand is getting worse and my index finger and thumb are suffering the most. My index finger knuckle is now quite swollen due to damaged cartilage and my consultant has suggested I use an ergonomic mouse which is suitable for arthritis sufferers. I've looked on Google but there are so many and it's difficult to know which would be best for me. If anyone in the forum has found a computer mouse which works well with swollen joints on the index finger I would really appreciate you sharing with me.
Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome DennyB to Versus Arthritis Community Forum.

I find your post very interesting as I personally can relate to it, as I'm sure many of our forum users will also. Technology and adaptations bring all sorts of help for us all, it's the small technicalities as a mouse that can hinder us. Our forum users are well informed and may be able to point you in the right direction.

I have found this link which may be of help to you.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=Computer+adaptations

Please feel free to contact Versus Arthritis Helplines for further help, the contact number is at the head of the page.

Enjoy the forum.

John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Ho Denny. Others will come up with better solutions I'm sure but I use an ordinary mouse and, when stuff's bad, either move it about with two fingers and click with a different one or just use my left hand. Neither solution is good but they can get me through bad patches.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've gone mouse-less as it were by having a touchpad; that brings its own frustrations. I also use my left hand, luckily my self-employment required me to become left -handed at times and I have improved at using it through practice.

Although many things can be bought from the net some items are impossible to judge from others 'reviews', we have to get out there and try which, thanks to the net, is getting harder and harder to do. As a friend once described it, it's a viscous circle. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    I use a small mouse , with large hands that after 25 years of RA doing its best & a couple of fingers that dont work because of traped nerves is not easy

cheap logitech works for me , just make sure it's comfortable for you what ever you do
  • LesleyJ1509
    LesleyJ1509 Member Posts: 26
    I have arthritis in all of my fingers and fine the trackpad works best for me as I am no longer able to grip. f05beb05130cecf4b43a0af8a713eb52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    love from
    Lesley
    xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
    ― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • DennyB
    Ho Denny. Others will come up with better solutions I'm sure but I use an ordinary mouse and, when stuff's bad, either move it about with two fingers and click with a different one or just use my left hand. Neither solution is good but they can get me through bad patches.
  • DennyB
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've gone mouse-less as it were by having a touchpad; that brings its own frustrations. I also use my left hand, luckily my self-employment required me to become left -handed at times and I have improved at using it through practice.

Although many things can be bought from the net some items are impossible to judge from others 'reviews', we have to get out there and try which, thanks to the net, is getting harder and harder to do. As a friend once described it, it's a viscous circle. DD
  • DennyB
    trepolpen wrote:
    I use a small mouse , with large hands that after 25 years of RA doing its best & a couple of fingers that dont work because of traped nerves is not easy

cheap logitech works for me , just make sure it's comfortable for you what ever you do
  • DennyB
    I have arthritis in all of my fingers and fine the trackpad works best for me as I am no longer able to grip. f05beb05130cecf4b43a0af8a713eb52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • DennyB
    moderator wrote:
    Hello and welcome DennyB to Versus Arthritis Community Forum.

I find your post very interesting as I personally can relate to it, as I'm sure many of our forum users will also. Technology and adaptations bring all sorts of help for us all, it's the small technicalities as a mouse that can hinder us. Our forum users are well informed and may be able to point you in the right direction.

I have found this link which may be of help to you.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=Computer+adaptations

Please feel free to contact Versus Arthritis Helplines for further help, the contact number is at the head of the page.

Enjoy the forum.

John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, I appreciate the mouse trouble but if you wish to reply to a thread it's probably best to click on the red 'reply to topic' button under the box, which brings up a clean screen, type your answer then click submit, rather than click on the reply with quote in the box and then not add anything. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben