Orthotics in shoes without support?

Bungobungo
Bungobungo Member Posts: 6
edited 15. Jul 2019, 07:53 in Living with arthritis
Waiting for diagnosis as had inflammation all over hands and feet a few months ago.Following MRI know have osteoarthritis in both big toes but waiting to know if something else caused as went from zero symptoms to pain in a few weeks Am going to get custom orthotics but wondering if can wear in my usual Skechers boots. These are really wide fitting boots but don't have great support. Would custom orthotics work in these? These are the only shoes I like in winter. Else I'll just stick to runners and forget the orthotics for now

Comments

• Bungobungo
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Have osteoarthritis in both big toes the past 4 months. Happened overnight . I find it hard even wearing stability runners so thinking of getting custom orthotics. Would o be able to wear them in regular shoes or boots for the winter. I love Skechers Slouch boots and they're really wide but don't think they offer any support. Are orthotics meant to only be worn in shoes with good support anyway or do they mean I can wear more fashionable shoes with comfort?

Edit

I have merged these two posts together to save members answering in different threads.

Brynmor
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Bungobungo welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis of osteoarthritis. Its sudden onset comes as a shock and can be for different reasons.

On the subject of shoes, they do need to be strong, supportive and comfortable!

We have a good section on the website including an information leaflet you can download, on choosing and buying shoes. Well worth a look:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/shoes/

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    welcome Bungobungo, I have had problems with my feet for a long time but have only recently seen a podiatrist. I have RA and OA.
    I have boney changes in both feet but my right is the worse large part of it is fuesed and I find walking and standing very painful. I have always worn supporting shoes and found walking/hiking trainers gave me more protection to the base of my feet than other trainers as the sole is harder. I tend to wear hiking boots most of the time as they give more support than shoes and instead of slippers I wear hiking/walking sandals as their sole is harder. I have a tendency to fall or slip in slippers.
    I also have small wedges to put under the insole at the heel due to problems with my tendons.I take the manufactures insole out and fit the wedge then the podiatry insole in I am still fine tuning trainers but my boots are great. I need to find a new pair of trainers that are deeper at the toe.
    I hope you find a solution as comfortable feet are so important.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    If you are getting custom orthotics I would have thought it makes sense to ask the person doing that for advice?
  • Bungobungo
    daffy2 wrote:
    If you are getting custom orthotics I would have thought it makes sense to ask the person doing that for advice?

I've spent 500€ already in past month buying new runners and sandals. Went to a podiatrist before to had MRI and they didn't recommend orthotics as wait my gait was fine. At time didn't realise I had Osteoarthritis in toes.Don't want orthotics for now unless they will allow me to wear my.reliable Skechers boots . If I go back to podiatrist to ask the question, it will cost €60 . If she says I have to wear the orthotics in supportive runners or shoes then I'm not going to bother getting them so was 60 wasted . I thought alot of people here would have orthotics and would know if they still work if worn on shoes that aren't supportive by themselves. What can I say, I love the look of my Skechers boots and before the inflammatory episode they were the most comfortable boots ever.
  • Bungobungo
    stellabean wrote:
    welcome Bungobungo, I have had problems with my feet for a long time but have only recently seen a podiatrist. I have RA and OA.
    I have boney changes in both feet but my right is the worse large part of it is fuesed and I find walking and standing very painful. I have always worn supporting shoes and found walking/hiking trainers gave me more protection to the base of my feet than other trainers as the sole is harder. I tend to wear hiking boots most of the time as they give more support than shoes and instead of slippers I wear hiking/walking sandals as their sole is harder. I have a tendency to fall or slip in slippers.
    I also have small wedges to put under the insole at the heel due to problems with my tendons.I take the manufactures insole out and fit the wedge then the podiatry insole in I am still fine tuning trainers but my boots are great. I need to find a new pair of trainers that are deeper at the toe.
    I hope you find a solution as comfortable feet are so important.

Thanks Stellabean. I have lived in runners and hiking sandals the past 6 months. Am in 30s and still unfortunately concerned with appearance so don't want to have to wear these all the time. I know I'll get to a stage where the pain gets so bad that comfort overrides that but for now I want a compromise if that's achievable. Have you ever tried your insoles in shoes that aren't supportive in themselves? Did that make them bearable to wear? I was hoping I could buy boots I like the look of a size too big ,remove insole and put the custom orthotic in
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have had arthritis for over twenty years, one kind affects all my toes and OA is in both ankles and both knees. I have learned that no matter what the style of footwear, with or without orthotics, insoles, wearing padded socks or any combination thereof, the pain stays because the damage is done and cannot be undone.

I find desert boots as good as it gets, I'm currently experimenting with Converse Hi-tops but they upset my ankles and knees, hopefully as they soften they will become less uncomfortable but basically no matter what the style, it hurts. I have no idea what you mean by runners - maybe trainers is the word we would use in the UK. Trainers are OK as they tend to reduce the impact of walking but I think they are bulky, ungainly, in many cases downright ugly as are hiking sandals. I prefer colour and sparkle as a more cheerful option and, if I have a long day ahead, I take pain relief to dull the sharper edges. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bungobungo
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have had arthritis for over twenty years, one kind affects all my toes and OA is in both ankles and both knees. I have learned that no matter what the style of footwear, with or without orthotics, insoles, wearing padded socks or any combination thereof, the pain stays because the damage is done and cannot be undone.

Yeah was told by GP that orthotics don't always help so at a loss. I'm thinking if I can wear them in shoes that are fashionable but don't offer foot support then that makes the cost worthwhile.Am going barefoot at work so at least that's bearable .Its terrible you can't wear any shoes without pain. Is it rheumatoid ?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As daffy wrote - the best person to advise is the orthotist who is measuring you.

The purpose of orthotic insoles is not only to mitigate against pain but also to help support the joints so that they deteriorate more slowly. I'm confident that, without my surgical shoes with their orthotic insoles, I'd have been unable to walk at all for the last 30 years or so.

But, it's a matter of choice and a trade off between today and tomorrow. Personally, I don't really see the point in putting orthotic insoles into shoes that won't allow them to do their job properly but your orthotist would know, much better than I, which shoes will take them well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have psoriatic arthritis which is finally affecting the joints it was supposed to viz the small joints in my fingers and toes. My feet hurt all the time, with or without footwear but I'm used to it now and don't pay it much heed. I returned the Converse today, I felt wrong in them and the amount of unlacing to get them on then relacing to do them up was a faff I don't need. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben