Am I going to end up in a wheelchair

littletk
littletk Member Posts: 3
edited 25. Jul 2019, 13:31 in Living with arthritis
I have just had my knees x rayed and was told that my arthritis has got a lot worse in the last year. I have tried physio and steroid injections which hasn't helped at all. My mobility is getting worse and the pain is constant. The consultant said as I have a condition called lymphoedema in both legs it would be too risky to have knee surgery as the risk of infection would be so high. All he could do was refer me to a pain clinic. Now I'm left worrying that I'm going to end up in a wheel chair and being a burden.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I am sorry this has happened, arthritis is literally a pain. My osteoarthritis was diagnosed back in 2011, I don't know when it began but that's irrelevant. I have one kind in my toes and knees plus osteo in my ankles, knees and hips so am familiar with the difficulties you are facing: it's not fun, is it? I began aged 37 and am now 60.

I bought a wheelchair a few years ago when things were very bad but it's lived in a wardrobe ever since. It's a comfort to know it's there but I make myself walk and exercise suitably to keep my leg muscles as strong as possible to better support my joints. It does not reduce the pain but as nothing does that
    significantly anyway that doesn'tt matter. When out and about I use a seated four wheeled rollator so I am supported but can rest when needed.

Some people find pain clinics of use, others don't. I went and they told me to do what I was already doing. They were willing to give me much stronger pain relief but I was not interested in that as, for me, that is not a solution. Please let us know how you get on and don't be surprised if your initial post is moved to another board, this one is reserved for VA and research announcements. DD.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • littletk
    littletk Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for replying and your advice dreamdaisy. Oh dear, didn't realize I posted in the wrong place.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi littletk,
    Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you are in such a lot of pain. Don't worry at all about posting in the wrong place - it does take a little while to find your way around and get the hang of the different boards. The Living with Arthritis board is a good place to talk about specific issues and worries about life with arthritis and hopefully your post is likely to get seen by more people here, who might be able to share their experiences.
    Good luck and best wishes,
    Ann
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Hello my lovely, would it be possible to beg, steal (no not really) or buy a rollator. I have one with a seat in case you need a little rest. It folds up to fit in a car boot and has a small bag for a few bits of shopping. I can't use it at the moment, but when I do, it gives me more independence than a wheelchair would. Amazon sell them among other places.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Hi littletk :D Well, I sometimes use a wheelchair and, if any of my family suggested I was a burden, I'd run 'em over with it :wink: My wheelchair enables me to get to some lovely places I otherwise wouldn't and, on family trips, my adult sons are happy to share the pushing. My younger grandson likes to ride on my knee (lovely and cuddly :D ) and the older one to push. (Can I have a go with Grandma :o:lol: ).

In your situation I'd be trying physio again as I see it's also recommended for lymphoedema. Of course, it doesn't take the pain away but it does enable muscles to do their job and that means things don't hurt as much as they otherwise would. It's kept me mobile for years (I don't use the wheelchair regularly) and will have to carry on keeping me mobile as my surgeon tells me it's too dangerous to operate unless it's absolutely essential. So I keep doing my exercises and riding the 'chair' for fun trips. It really is worth it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I see that kathleent has posted a picture of a device similar to mine. I envy her her computer skills!

A diagnosis of arthritis is never easy to hear, and it certainly throws a spanner in the works when we start thinking about the future. I am lucky that my health has always been compromised so for me more of the same is no big deal but for those coming at this from a basically healthy background the uncertainty of everything is much harder. It has taken me a few years to develop my coping strategies and every now and again I get it wrong. When it comes to arthritis and dealing with it we all get it because we've all got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben