Thinking of CBD Oil??

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 13. Feb 2020, 10:45 in Living with arthritis
Read this first. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48950483

Some products have none in. Some are illegal. Some have a solvent causing shortness of breath. One High St pharmacy chain sells theirs at over £50 and it doesn't contain any.

There is no legal requirement for these products to be tested.

Of course, we should never discount the placebo effect but CBD oil can be an expensive and potentially dangerous way of getting it.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks for the warning Sticky, I've never used it but I'm sure some out there have, or are considering it. I did buy some for my OH from H & B.It didn't help at all, I might as well have rubbed peanut butter on his knees. :? :lol:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have never considered it for precisely those reasons, pain moves in and once it's permanent desperation strikes: a potential gold mine for the con men.

I have no doubt that there is more to be learned about the efficacy of this kind of stuff, the same with treating epilepsy etc. but until more is understood, and it is responsibly and safely manufactured, I'll manage as I do. I once had a dose of medical grade cocaine whilst in hospital which was a total blast, pain free and not a care in the world, but then it wore off. The only thing that doesn't is the pain. It is not easy to be in pain 24/365 but it's there and always will be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • celtic
    celtic Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I have used Hemp cream for about 6 months and I know it will not cure my arthritis it has helped to ease the pain most times. I pay £18 a tub and it lasts about a month depending on how I use it.my daughter tried it but give it up after using about quarter of the tub I don't think she gave it long enough, it is not a miracle cure but it helps me and I find it money well spent.
    [/quote]
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    If these 'alternative' medical aids were good and worked why doesn't the NHS use them? Because there is not a proven track record.

I am very sure our doctors would love to find a cheap and simple way of helping us combat arther.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    If these 'alternative' medical aids were good and worked why doesn't the NHS use them? Because there is not a proven track record.

I am very sure our doctors would love to find a cheap and simple way of helping us combat arther.
    There is a long lead time on investigating/trialling new treatments, whether 'alternative' or not - and that's once someone has decided it's worth doing in the first place. A certain amount of progress has been made on medicinal cannabis, which I think is at least in part driving the demand for OTC versions, but you only have to see the difficulties patients are having with the practicalities of the 'approved' usage to realise that options for credible DIY treatment are some way off. In the meantime some savvy(and possibly unprincipled) people will make money. Plus ca change etc.
    In the meantime, this sort of thing doesn't help anybody.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/30/oxfordshire-hemp-farmers-devastated-after-being-forced-to-destroy-crop
  • Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 17
    Options
    I have tried CBD oil, but didn't work for me.
    Tumeric seems to be the next best thing? Any comments or anyone tried / researched?

:?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm not surprised CBD Oil didn't work if you read the article, Tanya.

Here's what Versus Arthritis says about turmeric. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/types-of-complementary-treatments/turmeric/

(Sorry. I'm in a rush.)
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you are expecting a cure or a complete cessation of pain nothing does that which is why the snake oilers are able to keep conning people. There is nothing wrong with the proven placebo effect but to be ripped off for it is where the greed lies. I read a report in the press on Sunday about this: the CBD bottles which were tested came from all price ranges and were found to be either utterly deficient in the oil (the most expensive at £90 for 100ml had none) others had between 2% and 6% which is useless, some had no oil but plenty of THC (the illegal stuff) and some had enough ethanol be to be classed as alcoholic drinks. The CBD used in the treatment of epilepsy is between 98% and 100% pure CBD minus the THC.

A warning went out at the weekend for those who like to add ground flax seed to cereals etc. (I think that was the stuff.) Apparently this is high in cynaide and can kill. I knew that apricot kernels were but this was news to me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Hi Tanya I was advised by the consultant to try turmeric but 1) It had no effect on my joints at all and 2) It made my crohns go wild so in a way it took my mind off my joints but made life pretty interesting trying to dive out of bed and make it to the loo in time.
    When my crohns was really bad many years ago my mother took me to see a homeopath who made me so ill I spent 3.5 months in hospital and weighed less than 4 stone. My friend ( a retired GP) gave me some very expensive cream to try that she swore helped with her pain it made my skin peel and did nothing for the pain. Funnily enough she shortly after stopped buying it as she realised it was doing nothing but draining her bank balance.
    Unfortunately there are always people claiming they have a new treatment for Arthur pain but you have to think what are they getting out of it you find it is usually money. There are many snake oil salesmen out there I wish you luck in avoiding them.
  • daffy2
    Options
    A warning went out at the weekend for those who like to add ground flax seed to cereals etc. (I think that was the stuff.) Apparently this is high in cynaide and can kill. I knew that apricot kernels were but this was news to me. DD
    It's the same compound(amygdalin) in flax as in apricot kernels - and apple pips, various other stones, pips,seeds and plants.
    Years ago when making apricot jam my mother would tut at recipe suggestions that the kernels be cracked and the nutty bit inside added to the jam, because of the cyanide risk. I don't think it was ever suggested the effect could be lethal,but it was considered an unnecessary way of possibly getting ill! She used almonds or nothing.
  • Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 17
    Options
    stellabean wrote:
    Hi Tanya I was advised by the consultant to try turmeric but 1) It had no effect on my joints at all and 2) It made my crohns go wild so in a way it took my mind off my joints but made life pretty interesting trying to dive out of bed and make it to the loo in time.
    When my crohns was really bad many years ago my mother took me to see a homeopath who made me so ill I spent 3.5 months in hospital and weighed less than 4 stone. My friend ( a retired GP) gave me some very expensive cream to try that she swore helped with her pain it made my skin peel and did nothing for the pain. Funnily enough she shortly after stopped buying it as she realised it was doing nothing but draining her bank balance.
    Unfortunately there are always people claiming they have a new treatment for Arthur pain but you have to think what are they getting out of it you find it is usually money. There are many snake oil salesmen out there I wish you luck in avoiding them.

Sorry for late reply, I am just getting used to the forum and hadn't turned on notifications...
    Thank you for responding. I have stopped the CBD and have not yet tried tumeric...as you and another have hinted, there is always someone trying to make a buck out of others misfortunes. I read the warnings about CBD and it's pretty clear it's not worth the money!
  • Robin
    Robin Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried CBD oil for a year with no discernible improvement
  • emmar97
    emmar97 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been trying CBD oil for about 4 weeks now. I don't really believe in homeopathy but you know desperate times and all. It's hard to say if it helped my joints since my methotrexate was upped around the same time. I've been in less pain and not as swollen. Unsure if a coincidence.
    I have found it made me quite sleepy though and I sleep very well on it if it helps anyone
  • celtic
    celtic Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Tanya wrote:
    I have tried CBD oil, but didn't work for me.
    Tumeric seems to be the next best thing? Any comments or anyone tried / researched?

Been on Tumeric for 2years no joy
  • daffy2
    Options
    BBC2 tonight(Wednesday) 8-00pm will be looking at "over the counter cannabis-based products" apparently.
  • TwinCam88
    TwinCam88 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I used the stuff bought from Holland and Barrett during 2017/2018 as a topical application and for a while it worked quite well but I then found that I was getting more pain relief from paracetamol/codeine.

I did try and take the stuff internally but all it did was make me feel a little odd thought wise. I do suffer with very high levels of anxiety though so there may have been some interaction.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    'The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said products had to be registered by March 2021 or they would be pulled.

Despite rising sales of CBD goods, not one product has been approved in the UK yet, raising safety concerns.

The FSA has also issued new advice on CBD use, saying it should not be used alongside other medication.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51480940
    Steven Wright
  • lynmary
    lynmary Member Posts: 17
    Options

I use CBD oil alongside my consultant prescribed medication. I did check with her 1st. I was advised to ensure that the hemp level was high. I also am lucky to have a health shop (not chain store) owner who is knowledgeable and helpful.

I do find CBD oil useful and use hemp balm on particularly sore small areas. Usually my hands or knees.

Good luck