Hello

emmar97
emmar97 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone
My name is Emma, I am 22 years old and I work as a veterinary nurse which I love. I was diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic arthritis at 1year old. I am affected in my knees, ankles, elbows and wrists. I have been stable on methotrexate for a number of years but I am currently having a big flare up which has gone on for 5 months now. I am adjusting my methotrexate dose from 15mg up to 25mg which I am very nervous about because i already get very nauseous and I am aware of the scary side affects, I was wondering if anyone can just give me some peace of mind?
Thank you :D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Emma
    Welcome to the forum. You are going through the wars at the moment which is not good hopefully it will get.t better as time goes on. We are all friendly and understanding and will try and make you feel part of the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    Hope all goes well Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Emma and welcome.

First of all, congratulations on coping so well for so long. I was diagnosed at 15 and, even then, it was not easy going. My sister, now retired, was a veterinary nurse so I know how demanding the job, and hours, are. You must be very dedicated to keep going.

I was on 22.5mgs of meth for a long time but I was lucky in that I've never had any side effects worth mentioning. I don't know how much you are aware of re the dosage but two things come to mind. Firstly, many people on here who struggle with the pills are fine once switches to injections. Secondly, how much folic acid do you take? It's prescribed for us to mitigate against the side effects of meth but the dosage seems to vary enormously from one per week to taking it every day except the meth day. I've always taken two per week and had no problems. Perhaps you could have a word with your rheumatology nurse and see if either of these suggestions would be possible for you.

Some people find that taking their meth at night helps with side effects too.

It might be that something else will need to be added if you're flaring badly. Many of us are on double, or even triple, therapy. I take hydroxychlóroquine as well as meth and the combination works well for me.

I hope you can find a means of sorting both the flare and the side effects. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I cannot add anything to Sticky's comprehensive reply, she has said precisely what I would say about the meth. I have never been on a dose higher than 15mg which I now do via injection and have done for years because the tablets gave me meth rash: after years of severe childhood eczema (in the dark ages before steroid creams were invented) I wasn't at all bothered by it but my rheumatologist was.

I am in my 23rd year of psoristic arthritis and my 9th of OA: having a rough time at the moment so farewell for now, I hope to see your name here and there around the boards: we all get it because we've all got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben