Options
Tanya
Tanya Member Posts: 17
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone,
Joined this forum as been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and awaiting a possible diagnosis of Fybromyalgia. It has changed my life considerably and I am getting used to accepting that everyday I will have pain of some degree or another and restricted movement. :roll:
However, I am swimming 3-4 times a week and doing exercises set by the Physio. Waiting for this to start making a difference hopefully...
Worried about work as I currently work full time and am finding it difficult to keep up with this.
Looking forward to chatting with you all and supporting each other...determined to not let it beat me!!!
:D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forums - we are here to help and I'm sure you will find any answers from our varied membership.
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Well done, Tanya! You seem to be making a great start by not minimising your difficulties, or your potential difficulties, but tackling them head on.

I don't have fibro. I have long-standing RA which led to OA. I can't say how much you'l feel the physio and swimming help but, believe me, they will. We have to keep our joints moving and the muscles which support them strong and protective so, even if we don't actually feel a lot better, good things are happening. I really don't know where I'd be without my physio exercises.

Please join in anywhere, on any thread. Living With Arthritis is the most popular one. I'll look forward to seeing you around.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tanya
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hi and welcome to the forums - we are here to help and I'm sure you will find any answers from our varied membership.
    Al

Thank you!
    :)
  • Tanya
    Options
    Well done, Tanya! You seem to be making a great start by not minimising your difficulties, or your potential difficulties, but tackling them head on.

I don't have fibro. I have long-standing RA which led to OA. I can't say how much you'l feel the physio and swimming help but, believe me, they will. We have to keep our joints moving and the muscles which support them strong and protective so, even if we don't actually feel a lot better, good things are happening. I really don't know where I'd be without my physio exercises.

Please join in anywhere, on any thread. Living With Arthritis is the most popular one. I'll look forward to seeing you around.
    Thanks for your message. It is difficulet to remain up beat at times but also very important to maintain a positive mental attitude to tackle the condition and live with it as best we can. I'm looking forward to checking in on the other threads.

:)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have PsA which led to OA which led to fibro. It's not fun but it is what it is, it wont be getting better or going away so I make the best of what I have when I have it. I nearly had it this morning so went out and did a little too much, I have been resting since I came home. I carried on working for seventeen years but was self-employed which made a difference.

I'm tired now but will be back later or tomorrow. I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jayuk
    Jayuk Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi welcome. I have fibromyalgia and other health conditions. It's important to pace yourself and don't over do things as you will pay for it the next day. I had to drop my hours at work as was struggling. What medication have you been put on.
  • Tanya
    Options
    Jayuk wrote:
    Hi welcome. I have fibromyalgia and other health conditions. It's important to pace yourself and don't over do things as you will pay for it the next day. I had to drop my hours at work as was struggling. What medication have you been put on.

Sorry for late reply, I am just getting used to how the forum works and hadn't turned on notifications...I have recently been prescribed amitryptoline 10/20 mg as needed, I have taken it twice and it did seem to help a bit with sleep and pain during the night. Co-codomol is another prescribed but I cant take this or amitryptoline during the day as I drive and need to be alert for my job.
    I am hoping to be able to contine working full time for as long as I can but is becoming more of a struggle. I have seen Occupational Health through work and it has been agreed I can work from home when I need to so that is certainly helping, but I have appointments so people to see and just have to brave it and get on...
  • Jules70
    Jules70 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi Tanya ,
    Welcome to the forums 😁
    I’m new myself and was diagnosed with Oesteoarthiritis in my right knee at the beginning of this year.,after a lot tests and Arthroscopic procedure.
    I don’t have fibromyalgia but I know people that do and can sympathise with yourself how much of an impact it has on your life.
    I’ve recently been having problems with my good knee past few wks ,and am awaiting an MRI scan .
    I also work full time but am currently signed off sick due to pain stiffness in my joints both knees.struggle with stairs and walking in general.
    I had a fall last wk when my knee gave way when walking downstairs and I ended up in a e.
    I’m also worried about my job and the impact my oesteoarthiritis is having in me being able to do it .
    I had to change my job 6 months ago but still struggling with my new one .
    Hope things improve for you you sound like you are doing all the right things .
    Look forward to hearing how you’re doing .
    I’ve also joined here for some advice and support .
  • Tanya
    Options
    Jules70 wrote:
    Hi Tanya ,
    Welcome to the forums 😁
    I’m new myself and was diagnosed with Oesteoarthiritis in my right knee at the beginning of this year.,after a lot tests and Arthroscopic procedure.
    I don’t have fibromyalgia but I know people that do and can sympathise with yourself how much of an impact it has on your life.
    I’ve recently been having problems with my good knee past few wks ,and am awaiting an MRI scan .
    I also work full time but am currently signed off sick due to pain stiffness in my joints both knees.struggle with stairs and walking in general.
    I had a fall last wk when my knee gave way when walking downstairs and I ended up in a e.
    I’m also worried about my job and the impact my oesteoarthiritis is having in me being able to do it .
    I had to change my job 6 months ago but still struggling with my new one .
    Hope things improve for you you sound like you are doing all the right things .
    Look forward to hearing how you’re doing .
    I’ve also joined here for some advice and support .

Thank you for your message. I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I can relate to your worries about your job and about your knee giving way...sometimes I have to stop in my tracks due to the pain and the feeling that my knees are going to buckle underneath me, it can be embarrassing sometimes, depending on when it happens... :( it makes me feel so helpless and angry sometimes! :oops: On a positive note, my employer has been really understanding and I can work from home on really 'bad days' however, sometimes due to my schedule with appointments I can't always do that so it's a case of giving myself a good talking to, having a shower, slapping on my make up and my smile and facing the day! :roll: let alone sitting in a meeting then struggling to get up from the chair if it's been a long meeting...agony! It's a challenging condition and it does impact considerably on your life and activities. This forum has been a great support though so far with a wealth of information and advice and a sense of knowing we are not alone in this...we are versus arthritis afer all!!!!
    I hope all goes as well as it can for you and I wish you all the best! :)