Biologic meds’, help please.

Options
Madmaz51
Madmaz51 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone, I’m Marian, I’m 67, I live in Cumbria, England and was diagnosed with RA at 27, I also have copd, scoliosis, hiatus hernia, and other bits n bobs, last year I was given Olumiant 4 mg tablets to try but sadly I kept getting uti and had to stop them as you can’t take them whilst on antibiotics.
This year they decided to try me again but on 2 mg and just over 2 weeks after starting them I have a chest infection and have had to stop them to take more antibiotics
have any other members been on these?
Also any advice on easing a ruptured bakers cyst please.
Sorry for the long post but I do love to chat!
💐

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Marian and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

You are quite correct: Olumiant affects your immune system and can make you more likely to pick up infections. Our website has a good page of information on Baricitinib (Olumiant™) that you might like to read:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/baricitinib/

As its one of a fairly new range of drugs I hope some of our members have tried it and are able to relate their experiences.

Are you taking any other drugs as part of a course of medical treatment?

With a ruptured bakers cyst: "the recommended treatment for a ruptured cyst is rest and elevation (keeping the affected calf raised)."

See: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bakers-cyst/treatment/

If its painful, then do see your doctor straight away before taking any pain relief medication.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I am sure you know that the way in which the biologics work is to suppress the immune system to stop it firing up thus triggering the arthritis. The down side is that we are left open to infection, it is very easy for us to pick up bugs and when we do we are slow to produce symptoms as our immune system does not respond.

When I began the DMARDs I immediately increased/improved my hand hygeine and that of those around me. I carry anti-bac gel and wipes in my bag to wipe down surfaces when we are out and about, my hands are washed every time I come indoors, even if I have only been to our post box: gawd knows what germs they find as I use door keys, unlock gates and open the box. I check whether people I am due to see have (or are recovering from) colds etc.; if they do I cancel the appointment. As for the UTIs repeated ones can be avoided by changing wiping and washing habits, this is something which is getting harder for me and I am researching wiping aids. I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis, take injected methotrexate and humira for the PsA and 30/500 cocodamol for the OA. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben