hi im darren

Options
0789blackie
0789blackie Member Posts: 13
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
hello everyone my name is Darren im 47 years old and have severe post traumatic oesteoarthris of the ankle from a compound fracture 19 years a go and am really struggling now ive had to stop work which is causing a lot of anxiety and depression I was a very active person but struggle with life now mainly pain and getting about

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome 0789blackie to Versus Arthritis Community Forum

Hi Darren. I'm sorry to read of your struggle with your ankle, unfortunately, osteoarthritis is quite a problem with a lot our forum users, rheumatoid arthritis being the other. There are over 200 types of arthritis. You will find that quite a lot of forum users will be able to offer help, advice and support.

I've found this link which may be of help to you:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/foot-and-ankle-pain/

Please feel free to contact Versus Arthritis Helpline 0800 520 0520

Hope you enjoy the forum.

John
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi Darren. I am sorry you are struggling with both physical and mental pain. It sounds if you are going through a tough time. It might help you to know that you are not alone as physical long term pain and depression,anxiety are common. Many of us can relate to that. Please seek help if you haven’t already done so via your GP,have you a family member or friend you can talk too? I rang MIND to see what help was available in my area. Don’t bottle it up. Take care
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I do think arthritis is harder when you're younger. I do find mine easier to deal with now but then I've had a few implants.

It will be hard if you can't work. What sort of work did you do? Any chance of a more sedentary job?

Have you been given any advice about footwear, physio, walking aids etc? They can all make a big difference.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in my left shoulder area as a result of breaking my upper left humerus and in other joints as a result of my other arthritis. People who don't know enough about it think arthritis only affects the major joints and only hurts in the damp weather, idiots and twerps the lot of them. Arthritie affects every aspect of our lives which is something we all get as we've all got it.

I was fortunate in that I was self-employed so able to tailor things to suit but time off for operations and recovery meant no income for anything up to three months which wasn't so ideal. I am now retired but remember all too well the struggle that was involved on many occasions. What did you do? What pain relief do you have, do you take (or are able to take) any prescribed anti-inflammatories if needed? Exercise is important to help keep our muscles as strong and flexible as possible to better support our joints but it has to be the right kind and done a little and often rather than as major sessions which can cause more trouble. Has your GP referred you to physio? Apologies for all the questions but some more background information would be helpful. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben