Basalar thumb arthritis

Options
Roadking
Roadking Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi, just joined and saying hello. I've got bilateral basalar thumb arthritis and expecting to have surgery carried to fix the problem. I'd be interested in anybody's experience of this surgical procedure. Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcomed Roadking to Versus Arthritis Community Forum

Sorry to read of your current problem with arthritis, the operation will soon be upon you and hopefully you will feeling the benefits of it. You will find that some of our forum members have gone or going through similar problems as yourself who will be able to offer some good help and advice.

I have found a link that may be of some help to you in the meantime:-
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bakers-cyst/treatment/

Please feel free to phone Versus Arthritis Helpline 0800 520 0520

Enjoy the forum

John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I think, though I'm not sure, you're talking about a trapeziectomy operation. They seem to cause problems insofar as people seem to think it's a small op from which they should recover very quickly so they make things difficult for themselves by trying to do too much too soon.

I think it's a very successful op, though, when the post-op guidelines are adhered too. Most people seem to make a full recovery so don't come back here which is a shame as they'd be more useful to you than such as I.

Here are some past threads https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=trapeziectomy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Roadking
    Options
    I think, though I'm not sure, you're talking about a trapeziectomy operation. They seem to cause problems insofar as people seem to think it's a small op from which they should recover very quickly so they make things difficult for themselves by trying to do too much too soon.

I think it's a very successful op, though, when the post-op guidelines are adhered too. Most people seem to make a full recovery so don't come back here which is a shame as they'd be more useful to you than such as I.

Here are some past threads https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=trapeziectomy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hi Stickywicket, Thanks for commenting on my post. I couldn't get your link to work so I Googled trapeziectomy and it looks to be the same problem that I have. I've an appointment the my surgeon at the end of the month so will be able to get his terminology. Ill post what terminology he uses.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I too thought that maybe trapeziectomy was the same thing, the terminology for the same procedure can vary from area to area.

I have not had this but agree with Sticky that those who have, and it has been successful, disappear as they are no longer in need of support or encouragement.
    The most I have had done on my hands was a double carpal tunnel operation but still have psoriatic arthritis in all my fingers. I think that 90% of the success of any operation depends on the patient behaving themselves after, doing the right exericises in the right way and not trying to do too much within too short a period of time. Surgery works better if the patient plays their part. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Roadking
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, I too thought that maybe trapeziectomy was the same thing, the terminology for the same procedure can vary from area to area.

I have not had this but agree with Sticky that those who have, and it has been successful, disappear as they are no longer in need of support or encouragement.
    The most I have had done on my hands was a double carpal tunnel operation but still have psoriatic arthritis in all my fingers. I think that 90% of the success of any operation depends on the patient behaving themselves after, doing the right exericises in the right way and not trying to do too much within too short a period of time. Surgery works better if the patient plays their part. DD

Hi Dreamdaisy, thanks for your info. I've got to get both hands done so will be here for a good while.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    It's odd that the link didn't work as it's just 'an internal one' to other threads on this site and still works for me. However, if you want do you can access it by clicking on the 'search' tab above (Green menu next to far right) and putting 'trapeziectomy' into the search. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright