Hello from newbie

Options
Vickstick74
Vickstick74 Member Posts: 10
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all. I'm new to this forum so I thought I would say hello. I'm from Salisbury uk and have recently been diagnosed with femoral acetabular impingement causing OA in my right hip. I'm under the local Orthopedic team and am waiting for a physio appointment. The long term treatment for me is a replacement which they won't give me at the moment until I've had physio, mainly because of my age - I'm 44 - and the fact that the docs are saying that progression in it is not too bad! I'm in constant discomfort and am on Naproxen and Co Codamol for pain. I already had a replacement of my left hip for a similar problem 12 years ago so I don't understand the age thing, and I wish that doctors could just spend a day in my shoes with pain that means I'm signed off atm, so that they could experience something that's 'not too bad!'
Anyway, thats me. Sorry for the long spiel. I hope to get some help and advice from everyone here and maybe help others with my experiences.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and a warm welcome to the forum.
    It sounds really frustrating to be in your position where you've already had one op on the other side and know how it has helped you but are being stalled on getting a replacement on the current troublesome side.
    I was amazed recently at how rapidly I got a physio appointment after it was first suggested. Obviously every area of the country is different in that regard, but I hope you don't have long to wait.
    I'm sure there'll be others on here with similar experiences to yours. Hope you find the forum helpful.
    best wishes,
    Ann
  • Vickstick74
    Options
    Hi Ann
    I do actually have a physio appointment for the 13th September. I'm hoping to get something from it and maybe an occupational therapy appointment as I need a couple of pieces of equipment for the house. The frustrating thing is that the orthopedic doctor asked me whether I wanted physio or a surgical referral and then when I said surgical she back tracked and said they wouldn't see me until I've tried physio! I have an open appointment with orthopedics until October so will definitely be going back to them. I hate the fact that my age is the thing that is going against me! I feel that getting my hip fixed now would be more beneficial than trying to drag it out for numerous years as it would improve quality of life!
    I'm having a particularly painful day already today so I'm whinging. Lol! Sorry!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am afraid I cannot help in anyway as although I have arthritis my experiences are very different. I do not understand why they are stalling you this time and can only assume it's down to money - or the lack of. How is your first replacement holding up? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me too. I'm sorry you 'qualify' to join us. Arthritis is a pain in every sense of the word.

I have RA and OA. Hips and knees replaced, one knee twice. But I started at 15 and I'm now 73. I can understand why they are reluctant to replace your other hip. It is, of course, partly financial. But, when my knee replacement was replaced (still with me :lol: ) it was explained to me that the op was twice as long, bone grafts would be needed 9and were), the implant would be much bigger and there would be an ongoing risk of infection.

Thankfully, it's been great but I'm now in the situation where both my other TKR and the THR above it are totally knackered but can only be dealt with as a last resort as the op would be so dangerous.

I don't regret any of my implants. I needed the knees when my kids were young and I virtually couldn't stand when my hips went but I can see the value of leaving these things for as long as possible. So can my husband who is currently bone on bone in one hip and almost there with the other :wink: Luckily, at his age, once done it should be done for life.

Just a thought. Don't underestimate the value of physio. I'm sure the reason why all my implants have lasted so long is because of my regular physio exercises.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Vickstick74
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, I am afraid I cannot help in anyway as although I have arthritis my experiences are very different. I do not understand why they are stalling you this time and can only assume it's down to money - or the lack of. How is your first replacement holding up? DD
    Hi DD
    My first replacement is really good. 12 years old and absolutely no problems. Couldn't be better in fact.
    Yeah, money is always an issue with the NHS unfortunately. I actually worked for them for nearly 10 years so I totally get it. It's just so frustrating when you find yourself in limbo because of it.
  • Vickstick74
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me too. I'm sorry you 'qualify' to join us. Arthritis is a pain in every sense of the word.

I have RA and OA. Hips and knees replaced, one knee twice. But I started at 15 and I'm now 73. I can understand why they are reluctant to replace your other hip. It is, of course, partly financial. But, when my knee replacement was replaced (still with me :lol: ) it was explained to me that the op was twice as long, bone grafts would be needed 9and were), the implant would be much bigger and there would be an ongoing risk of infection.

Thankfully, it's been great but I'm now in the situation where both my other TKR and the THR above it are totally knackered but can only be dealt with as a last resort as the op would be so dangerous.

I don't regret any of my implants. I needed the knees when my kids were young and I virtually couldn't stand when my hips went but I can see the value of leaving these things for as long as possible. So can my husband who is currently bone on bone in one hip and almost there with the other :wink: Luckily, at his age, once done it should be done for life.

Just a thought. Don't underestimate the value of physio. I'm sure the reason why all my implants have lasted so long is because of my regular physio exercises.

Hi Sticky
    Yeah I'm hoping that physio will help some. We'll see. My current implant is holding up brilliantly which makes it more frustrating. I also have OA in the facet joints in my back which can't be fixed so everything put together just brings me down a little.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course it brings you down, that is completely understandable. The fact your first replacement has been so good rubs further salt into the wound, yes? I began my first arthritis back in 1997, an auto-immune kind. That was accurately diagnosed in 2006 then OA was diagnosed in 2011. That sent me plunging into depression as I thought I had ticked the arthritis box: what a twerp. :lol:

To know that things could be so much better for the sake of a few grand on a hip operation is very tough. The NHS both wastes and loses huge amounts of money yet is never brought to account for that, by the same token patients waste huge amounts of time and resources thus leaving genuine patients like you in the lurch.
    It 's not on, is it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Vickstick74
    Options
    DD exactly! This is a point I've tried to make regularly - that technically I'm costing the NHS a fortune. I also have an underactive thyroid and chronic cluster migraines, both of which I'm medicated for, and because my hypothyroidism is a life altering condition, all my prescriptions are free! I must cost them thousands, lol! It would be more cost effective to do the replacement than keep shoving me from pillar to post in the hope of avoiding it! :roll: