Hi

Options
Bluecaz47
Bluecaz47 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi I am new to this group and just wanted to say hello. I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips, my pubic bone, sacrum, lower back and my left knee. I am currently receiving physiotherapy and the nhs have enrolled me on a 6 week programme called back into action. I have completed two weeks so far and both the physio and this class have helped tremendously. However, I get good and bad days which i’m Sure is the norm. I look forward to taking an active role in this support group.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bluecaz47,

Lovely to meet you, like you I have osteoarthritis in many joints, it’s good that you have been diagnosed, and that you are seeing a physio too, the right exercise now will keep you active for a long time to come.

Here is our booklet all about osteoarthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

I’m looking forward to chatting again soon

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi Bluecaz. What a positive first post! I'm so pleased you're finding the physio helpful. I'm afraid I can't hang around right now but I just wanted to welcome you. I'll be back, hopefully tomorrow, maybe Monday. I have RA and OA. Hips and knees replaced very successfully :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have OA in both ankles, both knees, both hips, my wrists and one shoulder. It was diagnosed in my knees in 2011 and the rest have followed as the disease progressed. I have another form of arthritis too, which affects other joints - my knees have both which is not very jolly. :lol:

It is important to keep mobile and active for our general health but it has to be done carefully and suitably. Non-weight bearing exercise is the way to go, swimming and cycling are amongst the best as they minimise impact on the joints. Impact = damage and once joints are damaged impact exacerbates it. I do my post-op and other physio exercises on a daily basis and have been working hard at rediscovering and maintaining my confidence in unaided walking. I still use a rollator when out and about as I do not have sufficient instant mobility to respond to the mobile vagaries of the healthy and their irritating offspring/dogs so my rolly is a defence mechanism.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben