Allergic to sulfasalazine

lkn
lkn Member Posts: 16
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Help. On week 2 of sulfasalazine and broke out in an itchy rash all over my body. So fed up I was hoping they would help me. Anyone else had this problem

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As with any possible adverse reaction to a DMARD ring your rheumatology helpline / unit and ask for their advice, they need to know this has happened. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    I completely agree with DD but I'd add not to worry. It's quite common for more than one DMARD to be tried before 'the right one' is found. You may or may not need to come off the sulf but you do need to let the docs know what's happening. Please let us know the outcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • felicityh
    felicityh Member Posts: 25
    I'm allergic to trimethoprim (anti biotic related to sulfasalazine) so I can't take sulfasalazine. There are loads of meds available though so don't worry, you will find one that works for you xx
  • lkn
    lkn Member Posts: 16
    Hi everyone

I'm being put on another DMARD next Friday it's Methotrexate. Hope this one works.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That's the usual progression, I've been taking meth for years and it, in conjunction with other meds, has certainly slowed the progression of my PsA. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben