Anti pain balm

Options
Daisymae
Daisymae Member Posts: 50
edited 27. Aug 2019, 04:24 in Living with arthritis
I have been reading of a new anti pain balm developed in USA for knee osteoarthritis, does anyone know if it does all it claims to do

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Personally I doubt it, things rubbed onto the skin do not reach the source of the pain although they are of course more 'targeted' than tablets (which affect the whole body). Nothing we apply or swallow addresses the underlying cause of the pain and never will.

Pain is the body's alert mechanism, it forces us to take action to remove the source of the pain: all well and good when it's a headache, toothache, sprain, broken bone, all the run-of-the-mill acute fixable things that happen in life. Arthritis is a chronic condition, not acute. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Check the active ingredients of the 'pain balm'. Then check them out on a reputable site. If they're not given then don't waste your money.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Daisymae
    Daisymae Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks,I don't expect it would work ibuprofen gel never made any difference at all, I suppose it's human nature to hope there would be a relief from the pain.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Heat is the answer, a hot wheat bag or similar, place 1/2" of water in a mug along with the wheat bag in he microwave and heat for 2-3 mins at a time depending on the power. Place it on the joint, Keep doing it until the pain eases, take painkillers if necessary.

There s no easy or simple way to get rid of pain, ask your GP for a referral to the Pain Managemnt clinic.