Unbearable numb arm and hand

Options
lkn
lkn Member Posts: 16
edited 26. Aug 2019, 09:08 in Living with arthritis
Hello All

Has anyone experienced your whole arm and hand go completely numb and very painful. I've been getting this a lot recently and can't bare the pain. Thanks lynda

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I get this to some extent in both arms from time to time and it is both worrying and "inconvenient" to say the least. Mine has been diagnosed as Brachialgia which is caused by a detached disc in my neck moving and pressing on the nerves (Neurosurgeon will not operate due to too great a risk of paralysis.). It is a bit like Sciatica (which I also get) only in the arms instead of the legs. It is worse in my right arm and causes problems trying to drive which is scary, I am waiting for the DVLA to take my licence away due to this problem added to my OA, degenerative facet joint disease and other issues I have to put up with.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think this is something for your GP to deal with. There can be many reasons behind numbness and, although some of us have experienced the same or similar, we are not best-placed to advise. If you do see your doc make sure he knows you have ben taking sulph (I have no idea if it's connected but I always tell everyone medical everything) and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lkn
    lkn Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Yeah I think I'll need to speak to GP about it because pain Meds aren't stopping it. Strange because I mentioned it to the doctor before when it was less intense and before I was diagnosed with seron negative arthritis. Could be connected as I get a sore neck quite a lot since diagnosis as well along with hand wrist arm pain and other areas. It might sub side when I start methotrexate once it's taken effect.

Thanks Lunda
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Pain meds don't stop pain, they never have and never will. They are OK for the temporary stuff such as a headache or toothache, stuff that can be fixed, but for decent quality, ongoing pain in my experience they're not much cop.

There is an understandable tendency to connect everything that happens to us post-diagnosis as being connected but sometimes it is not the case. Numbness indicates nerves being squashed somehow, somewhere and often some distance from where the numbness is manifest. When we are in pain we naturally tense, especially in the neck and shoulder area, which in turn leads to further trouble. Learning to live with, work with and relax through pain is far from easy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben