Canadian knee replacements

Jadire
Jadire Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello,

I’m new here and would like to introduce myself.

I’m Jayne, I was born in Yorkshire but now live in Derbyshire. I married a Canadian, emigrated to Canada, had three children, my marriage fell apart and I returned to England 10 years ago.

I had both my knee replacements in Canada; my first in 1996 and my second in 2008. Unfortunately, my build up of scar tissue was so rapid that I wasn’t able to break it and it has left me unable to bend my left leg. Fortunately for me my right knee replacement was successful after a manipulation and it’s fine.

It has its limitations not being able to bend my left leg but I get around it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyway, I shall say tara for now.

Take care

Jayne

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jayne,

Welcome to the versus artheritis website.

Sorry to read about your knee replacements and how its left your left knee.

I have posted the link for the versus arthritis website and knee replacements. Hope this helps.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/knee-replacement-surgery/
  • Jadire
    Jadire Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the link.

Take care

Jayne
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am sorry you have had such trouble with scar tissue. I have not had any knee replacements but do have a twelve inch scar over my left knee which people assume is due to such an operation. I had five years' worth of solidified and liquid inflammation removed so it was a big op and the recovery after took more than a year. It solved nothing so was repeated eighteen months later. This was back in 2002 and to this day I do my post-op physio exercises on a daily basis. As it turned out I have an auto-immune arthritis in both knees which has spread to other joints and then OA was diagnosed in 2011 which is in my ankles, knees, hips and elsewhere.

I remember that the very early post-op days were not too bad but as the healing progressed it became harder and more painful to do the exercises. Occasionally I tore/ripped the deeper, developing scar tissue which, although it hurt at the time, certainly improved the range of movement for the better. The best thing we can do is keep moving and exercising, I have always used walking aids since that first operation to assist my balance and to give support and that has made a great difference to the overall state of my mobility.

I was refused new knees in 2011 when I was 52, despite being bone-on-bone and as everything else joint-wise is now worse I won't be bothering at all: the thought of being possibly pain-free in two places is terrifying. I began work with a personal trainer a couple of years ago and have greatly improved my confidence in my unaided walking, and my physical stamina, but still use my rollator when in town to keep the fully-mobile healthy at a safe distance. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Hi Jayne and welcome from me too. Born in Yorkshire, now in Scotland :D

I've had three (I started young :wink: ) very successful knee replacements but we do get people on here, from time to time, who need manipulation. There is a new lady on this forum right now - silvia - who has had the same problem as you but her spine is involved too.

I think, with a can-do attitude, we can manage most bits that don't bend or straighten and you seem to believe that too. Not ideal but could be worse, eh?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright