Hello Everyone

Options
Shubs
Shubs Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
I’m 44 year old and only recently been diagnosed with OA in both knees. I’m still in shock as I’m no longer able to function as my normal self. I am a Headteacher and have extended my leave as my health comes first. I am having difficulties coming to terms with reduced physical activity and worried this will be a downward spiral for me.
I have swelling in in ankles both the sides and front and worriied the arthritis may be in other joints.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Shubs
    Welcome to the forum I know how you feel I still remember being diagnosed with OA in my knees the pain was horrible,but I have had them both replaced now and have no more pain I am glad to say ,I was much older than you at 44 years it must be a double whammy I was in my sixtys. Glad you have found us on the forum we all understand what you are going through and we are all friendly and will try to make you feel part of the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have OA too. I am not sure when it began but it was diagnosed back in 2011 and came about as a result of my other arthritis (psoriatic, one of the auto-immune kinds). Some joints have one, some the other and others both. I began the psoriatic back in 1997 when I was 37 so have a good few years under my belt now. The OA mainly affects both ankles, both knees, both hips, both wrists and is starting in my neck.

I was able to carry on working as I was self-employed and did so for seventeen years but then having never had good health struggling was no big deal as it was the norm. This must be so much harder for you. What medication has your GP given you? Rest is important and make sure your feet are elevated with your knees supported by a pillow. Exercise is also important, keeping the leg muscles as strong and flexible as possible to better support the joints is important for our general health. It can also help to shift inflammation as well as causing it if we overdo things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I think arthritis always comes as a shock.

You could download the exercises for knees from this site (Grey top menu). Exercises have been my salvation and I also believe it's his golf and walking that have kept my husband going so well until his hips were x-rayed and he was found to need new ones.

If we walk awkwardly to 'spare' a joint we can end up causing pain elsewhere which could be simply muscular or more joint damage. Always wear good, supportive shoes and maybe ask your GP for a physio appointment which should help. An orthotist might also help with orthotic insoles.

Arthritis doesn't go away but, if we're careful, we can keep going with the important stuff while letting go of the lesser important things.

I was diagnosed with RA at 15. After uni I taught for 3 years so I know how demanding that is both physically and mentally. It's by no means easy to live with but it is still possible to enjoy life a great deal.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright