Good morning from a newby!

jume
jume Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi - I was diagnosed as having osteoarthritis last week (female, 64 years old). Both knees and both hands are affected and it was suggested that I will probably need both knee replacements in due course. Right at the moment, I am in the stage of denial and struggling to stay positive. I love running (which I discovered only a couple of years ago) and hiking. Any tips, advice, chat... anything positive that anyone cares to offer? This will be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis of OA in your knees and hands. I'm sure it's been quite a traumatic week for you. Like you I am very active (walking and golf in my case) and was diagnosed four years ago with OA of the spine. Four years later I'm still active, have to pace myself more but still pursuing the activities I love doing. So don't despair, you've hopefully got lots of active years ahead of you and can find the best way to manage your condition.

You may find some of the information on our website useful such as here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/

Also, if you wish to talk to someone for advice then you can call our helpline Mon-Fri on 0800 520 0520.

I'm sure other forum members will be able to offer you advice and tips that will help.

All the best
    ChrisB
    (Website Moderator)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Jume and welcome :D

I'm in a different situation to you. I've had RA for most of my life and have had knees and hips replaced. I can understand your fears about the future and how this disease might take away much that you hold dear.

I can't promise that it won't but i can give a few tips for living with it.
    1. Exercise is good but not the sort of exercise that stresses the joints. Up until recently all running was thought to be bad for knees. Now it's possible to find the odd doc who will say it isn't but that's not mainstream. What is excellent is cycling and swimming, neither of which puts the knees under pressure. In fact we had someone come on here in the last year very worried about his painful knee arthritis, took up cycling and disappeared after saying his knees now felt great.

2. A good diet, weight and exercise and not smoking are all key to living successfully with arthritis.

3. If we overdo things there is payback. So we learn our limits. Sometimes we decide that an activity is worth the payback. And sometimes it is :D

4. Some things, here, there and over time, have to go. I find the secret is to take up something to replace whatever has gone. That way I've found some fascinating things/interests etc that I'd never have found otherwise.

5. Don't fear eventual replacements. Mine have all been great and made huge differences to my life.

A final thought - for hiking use walking poles, especially for downhill. My husband has used them for years and loves them. He says they take a lot of weight off the knees.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have OA in a number of joints as a result of my other arthritis which began back in 1997. My OA was diagnosed in 2011 when I was 52 and affects both ankles, both knees and both hips, plus my wrists and one shoulder. The other arthritis is in my toes, my knees, my fingers and my elbows.

This must be huge shock for you but I fear there is little I can say to help as I am further down the arthritic road and don't find living a compromised life a problem because it has been compromised since birth. There are between eight to ten million arthritics in the UK, the majority having OA but for such a widespread condition very little is understood about it by those who don't have it. They wrongly associate it with the elderly and have no idea how debilitating it can be.

Keeping physically active is important and non-weight bearing exercise is the way to go. Cycling and swimming are ideal but a little and often is far better than a lot all in one go. Something which is a hard lesson to learn is to listen to your body and to stop when you think you can do more.

Over the past twenty years I have had to stop cycling, dancing, playing tennis, swimming and walking for pleasure. So what? I was lucky to be alive to do them, asthma nearly killed me when I was a child and the invention of inhalers saved my life. I am now 60, ageing is now beginning to take its toll and was always going to be a factor. Life's rich travesties happen, how you deal with them is the true test of life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben