Diet or natural remedies?

Options
Jcdixon
Jcdixon Member Posts: 4
edited 20. Sep 2019, 11:25 in Living with arthritis
Hey!
Just wanted to find out if anyone has had any success with changing your diet, cutting anything out your diet or any natural remedies that they have found have significantly helped their pain?

Xx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forums,members here have a wide experience and will offer advice - if you require any information please do nt hesitate to ask.
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Unfortunately, whatever any adverts might say, there are no natural remedies - or even unnatural ones :wink: The first rule, for anyone with an inflammatory arthritis, is to take the DMARDS. Versus Arthritis has some excellent advice on diet but it does, basically, amount to eating a healthy diet and keeping to a healthy weight. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/diet/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi
    welcome to the forums it is lovely to have you here. We do have some information on complementary treatments which you may find useful here https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/news/complementary-treatments-and-arthritis-from-turmeric-to-cannabis-oil/
    plus a comprehensive list of therapies which may help. Let us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Robin
    Robin Member Posts: 3
    Options
    After applying Flexseq twice a day for several weeks now I can not report any relief from pain or increase in mobility. The cheapest I found was £10.99 at Lloyds chemist. It was ten from Len but only a one from me
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hi Robin and welcome. I'm sorry, but not surprised the Flexisec didn't help. What does work for you?
    Steven Wright
  • Gildard
    Gildard Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm new here but wanted to share something that appears to be working for me, remedy-wise.

Spinach, pear and strawberry smoothie (in the morning on an empty stomach) and black seed oil capsules (usually last thing at night as they can give me a bit of heartburn).

I have no idea why this is working but one or other or both seem to keep my RA pain and inflammation at bay - with no drugs.

I had been taking methotrexate for several years (first tablets then Metoject) plus some of the other standard drugs until April this year. My Rheumatologist stopped all as I appeared to be getting lung problems from the drugs. I went on a standard 13 week course of steroid tablets and other things to flush out the MTX and was feeling pretty good so suggested to my GP that I'd wait a bit rather than start again on the MTX as had been advised.

I thought I might be in remission but the pains started creeping back so it was likely still the effects of the steroids I was feeling but the smoothie and capsules have had a remarkable effect.

I still get pain, particularly after doing something strenuous but it's nearly six months of no drugs - ibuprophen maybe twice - and I'm looking forward to this winter hopefully with a functioning immune system so no pneumonia as has been the case most years.

If anyone wants to try this:

In a blender,

water - just enough to cover the blades
    handful of spinach
    1 conference pear - chopped with skin on
    3 or 4 strawberries

Capsules

Strong black seed oil from The Blessed Seed
    (the capsules are made of gelatine so aren't vegetarian - you can get the oil in a bottle but the taste isn't good, so I'm told)

I hope this is of some use.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    That Nigella gets around...
    On a rather more serious note it would seem that there is interest in the active ingredient of the so-called black seed(Nigella sativa - not to be confused with the garden Love in a Mist variety) and preliminary rat trials have been promising. A human trial using the oil was also promising but only involved 40 individuals so - more work to be done! And incidentally a reason for looking at the science behind headlines in the media - a single trial in lab animals or a single very small sample size human trial may be all that lies behind a "new treatment/cure/hope for disease xyz" article 'by our science/health correspondent'.
    As Sharon says it's important to get advice about interactions.
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options
    Fish and chips....................does absolutely nothing to alleviate the pain of OA but is satisfying and tastes great! :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Especially with mushy peas (I'm a Yorkshire lass :wink: ) and washed down with a glass of Chenin Blanc.

I disagree, though, Mike. The pleasure and satisfaction probably does far more to relieve the pain of arthritis than most of the quack remedies on the market.
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Not for me. Spinach,Yuck. I take me pills,eat a healthy mixed diet mixed with a few treats. I’ve tried supplements,smoothies, rip off.