Hello :)

Options
JenF
JenF Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi,
I’m currently 11 weeks post op from having my toe fused due to osteoarthritis. I have also had bone taken from my hip for the graft.
I get a fair amount of knee and quite a lot of hip pain. The GP has advised what she calls the scaffold approach, ie take full dose of paracetamol daily to help with the pain because this can be built on with other pain meds. I have been told I cannot have ibuprofen because it interferes with the bone graft healing. Can anyone advise how long before I should get relief with this? I’m not sure it’s really helping at all.
Thank you!
Don’t you dare take away my HRT. It makes me feel more normal and helps my pain.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi JenF
    welcome to the forums it is lovely to have you here. I am sorry to hear you are still in so much pain 11 weeks after your toe fusion. It would certainly seem that paracetamol is not enough. I would suggest speaking to your GP and getting some other pain medication that you can take with the paracetamol.
    We have a section on our website about painkillers and which ones can be taken in combination. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/painkillers-and-nsaids/
    It might also be worth asking your surgeon about what else can be done to ease your pain.
    It is not easy trying to recover from surgery when you are in pain, what kinds of things have you been trying to do? I am sure our members will have some ideas on what might help.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've had knees and hips replaced but no 'foot work' so I can't really help except to fish out former threads for you. Here they are https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=toe+fusion&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I hope you might find something there to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JenF
    JenF Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you.
    I’m not particularly good with opioids and try to keep codeine to a minimum. I saw the GP a few days ago when she suggested keeping my level of paracetamol topped up but I get very little relief with it ( I did try and explain this at the time).
    Codeine has quite a horrible mental effect on me and I won’t take it after about 6pm or I can’t sleep. I’m quite sensitive to other opioids like morphine.
    I was prescribed Naproxen by the surgeon post op but I had my head down the loo within two days of taking it. This was with taking Omeprazine as well.
    I have been told to steer clear of things like ibuprofen because of the bone graft.
    I just wondered if you take the paracetamol regularly as I was told that the pain should then be controlled? It feels like I’m taking it, but because I’ve been told to rather than because it helps.
    I can’t do any high impact exercise and walking any distance is uncomfortable, therefore I am going swimming twice a week which just helps to get my joints going. I’m doing about 500m each session along with some exercises in the water.
    I’m conscious about not sitting around having had this done as that is worse for my overall joint function and the risk of weight gain where I have just tipped from an ideal BMI into overweight category. I’m taking vit D and calcium supplements for bone repair and try to eat a healthy diet with not too much refined starch and sugars. I don’t smoke and only drink moderately.
    Don’t you dare take away my HRT. It makes me feel more normal and helps my pain.
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi. I have great difficulty taking pain relief some quite awful with side effects which made me very unwell. I have recently gone back on Naproxen with a stomach calmer. No problem there. I take 8 paracetamol a day so keep topped up. I can use the gels though. If I miss one of my paracetamol doses I know it.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    JenF wrote:

I was prescribed Naproxen by the surgeon post op but I had my head down the loo within two days of taking it. This was with taking Omeprazine as well.
    I have been told to steer clear of things like ibuprofen because of the bone graft.
    I just wondered if you take the paracetamol regularly as I was told that the pain should then be controlled?

JenF, this first bit puzzles me. You write that the surgeon prescribed naproxen but also that you'd been told to not take ibuprofen. By who? Because the active ingredient in naproxen is ibuprofen.

I assume, as you seem so clued up and sensible about what things are good for you, you did take the naproxen with food. That can make the difference between the stomach tolerating it and not.

Also, re paracetamol controlling the pain - it all depends on what you mean by 'controlling'. It will certainly work better if taken regularly but nothing actually banishes the pain. Unfortunately :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • colinreid
    colinreid Member Posts: 10
    Options
    JenF wrote:
    Thank you.
    I’m not particularly good with opioids and try to keep codeine to a minimum. I saw the GP a few days ago when she suggested keeping my level of paracetamol topped up but I get very little relief with it ( I did try and explain this at the time).
    Codeine has quite a horrible mental effect on me and I won’t take it after about 6pm or I can’t sleep. I’m quite sensitive to other opioids like morphine.
    I just wondered if you take the paracetamol regularly as I was told that the pain should then be controlled? It feels like I’m taking it, but because I’ve been told to rather than because it helps.
    I can’t do any high impact exercise and walking any distance is uncomfortable, therefore I am going swimming twice a week which just helps to get my joints going. I’m doing about 500m each session along with some exercises in the water.
    I’m conscious about not sitting around having had this done as that is worse for my overall joint function and the risk of weight gain where I have just tipped from an ideal BMI into overweight category. I’m taking vit D and calcium supplements for bone repair and try to eat a healthy diet with not too much refined starch and sugars. I don’t smoke and only drink moderately.

Hi Jen. Did you start to feel the screw as you started walking from heel to toe?
  • Springsoft54
    Springsoft54 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Newbie. Dave is my name, from South Australia.
    65yo, at year 48 of arthritis....<sigh>

Given 2 years to live if I didn’t drop methotrexate due to damage done to liver. Doesn’t help that I ignored the doctors and engaged my fascination with single malt whisky and dark ales. :cry:

Now alcohol free, and after a false start with Sulfasalazine - made me so sick, now on Golumibab (Simponi). 2.5 month since I dropped methotrexate. 2 weeks in with Simponi, and suffering a bit, waiting for it to fully kick in - using the once a month epi-pen.

2 new joints in last 5 years - pinkie on left hand, joint nearest the hand (proximal phalange for those with a medical bent).
    New R knee last year, which removed the single most significant pain source.

Anyhow, hello all and I won’t say welcome to my world of pain, because its your world of pain, too. :wink:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Good morning Dave

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find support, advice, empathy, friendship. The members of this forum are very supportive and will offer you advice based on how their type of arthritis affects them. All the people on this forum have no medical training and if it is a medical problem you should contact your medical team for their advice and help.

At the top of this page you will see several buttons, these will take you to all the different subjects Versus Arthritis cover.

I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the "arthritis hangers on" or look after family with the same conditions.

I look forward to reading your future posts and to see how you are progressing on your drug regime.

Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hi Dave and welcome from me too.

First off, well done on kicking the alcohol habit. A single malt is not easily abandoned. I love it, especially a nice Islay but, alas, it's a rare treat since anti-inflammatories did for my stomach.

I've had knees and hip's replaced. I get by OK on meth and hydroxy. Good luck with the simponi. I hope it kicks in soon. The waiting is not good.

Do join in anywhere. The forums are about to change so we'll all have to get used to them together.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Hi Dave!

Welcome to the forum from me too :D Sorry you had to find us but glad you have.

Really good news that the new knee has helped so much long may that last.

Fingers crossed that the simponi is the medication for you. Blimey I am glad you ditched the MTX :shock:

Anyway now you've found us go on and join us on one of the other areas Living with artritis/ chit chat etc!

Toni