O.A Fibromyalgia or Menopause???

Options
Tanya
Tanya Member Posts: 17
edited 11. Sep 2019, 13:47 in Living with arthritis
Hello lovely poeple.

I wonder if any women (of a certin age) are struggling with menopause symptoms and coping with OA. I was diagnosed with OA in my knees and lumbar spine ealrier this year. As I was recently experiencing unusual pains, not sleeping well at all, so terrible fatigue and brain fog, I visited my GP and he queried Fibromyalgia, so did a load of blood tests to rule out other possible conditions. These all came back clear, thankfully.

However, when I returned and saw another GP as advised, (the GP I saw initially was a locum btw) he said he wouldn't diganose Fibromyalgia as my symptoms could be just menopausal. However the random shooting and stabbing pains, soreness and tingling sensations I am not sure are linked with the menopause, although I appreciate that the fatigue and brain fog are...I also have night sweats.

Not that I particularly want to have Fibromyalgia, but just wondering if any other women have had similar experiences?

I am doing my best to alieviate sympoms with swimming at least 3 times a week and considering taking amitryptaline, which was prescribed by the GP....
:?

Comments

• Cookiewookiewoo
    Cookiewookiewoo Member Posts: 1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there
    I’m 53 and have OA in both knees and with menopause have the night sweats, hot flushes, brain fog, digestion problems, even the occasional migraine with aura but I’ve never had tingly or shooting pains - that’s about the only thing I haven’t had! Oestrogen helps reduce inflammation so I think we feel pain more anyway once menopausal but I’m no expert on fibromyalgia. My manager has Fibromyalgia though and those are the types of pain she describes. She also gets very achy and feels the cold but she does triathlons so you would wouldn’t you!!
    Hope you get some answers and take care. XX

Hi Cookiewookiewoo

Just adding this to the end of your post as I wanted to say welcome to the forum from all the Mod team. Yvonne x
  • JenF
    JenF Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hiya,
    I think my signature says what I think :)
    I have definitely had a reduction in symptoms since being on HRT.
    Don’t you dare take away my HRT. It makes me feel more normal and helps my pain.
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi. You mentioned blood test. Were you hormone levels tested? Apart from menopausal symptoms the blood test would indicate if you were going through ‘the change’ .
  • Tanya
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses and sharing your experiences. I have had blood tests but there was no mention of one for the menopause symptoms.
    I have made another appointment with one of the female doctors at the surgery but have to wait a month! However, I am hoping it is going to be better and I am compiling a list so I remember what I want to ask...
    The GP I saw was reluctant to prescribe HRT as my Mum had breast cancer...
    I am taking Menopace (vitamin supplement) and it does seem to help a bit with menopausal symptoms. I don't get too tearful and moods are more or less stable... :?
    It's just nice to know you are not alone in these things... :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I don't think there is a test for 'menopause symptoms'. Potentially too many and imprecise, I guess. But, if there's anything in your symptoms which sounds dangerous I'm sure they'll test for that.

I was kind of lucky in that I sailed through the menopause while ón chemo for breast cancer so no symptoms. But I think, however bad your symptoms are, it's good that your GP is concerned about the risks of HRT in your case. It's also good if the Menopace is helping though, if you're also taking prescribed, or over-the-counter meds, do check with your local pharmacist to ensure there will be no interactions.

Who'd be a woman :roll: :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    No there is not a blood test for menopausal symptoms but signs yes ie hormone levels.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,

I have OA in a multitude of joints. I'm also menopausal. I really struggled initially with night sweats, hot flushes, mood swings, forgetfulness. My GP put me on clonidine which can be used to help with hot flushes. I found that this medication worked for me really well and, 5 years on, I've been able to reduce the dose to 1 tablet twice a day (originally I was 2 tablets twice a day). It reduced my hot flushes and night sweats by about 70%.

I was unable to have HRT due to family history with breast and ovarian cancer (which is horrendous). My GP told me that no Dr would ever allow me to have that at the risks for me were too great. Hence the clonidine.

I still get some hot flushes, but they are less often and far less intense. I can still go from the lounge into the bedroom or kitchen and completely forget why! :roll:

As for blood tests? I was given a full blood test and mine showed my hormone levels were high; hence my GP confirming I was menopausal at 49.

I get some tingling and pins & needles in my hands but that's coming from my OA affecting my neck issue and creating an impingement (trapping the nerve in plain English) and I'm currently awaiting nerve function tests.

Ask your GP for medication to help with the hot flushes. That way s/he can ensure anything you take will work with any other medication you are on which is vital. Also ask what your hormone level tests showed and discuss the implications of those results.

If I can be of any further help let me know.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Tanya
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and supportive comments. I will ask my GP about hormone levels and night sweats.

I am working full time and finding that I get really tired by about Wednesday, but I am swimming regularly, going to physio and (trying) to eat healthily and lose a bit of weight as I know this will help. It is important to focus on the positives and I usually laugh at the brain fog and forgetfullness!!!

Take care all and thanks again.

:-D