New Member, North Somerset

Options
Aginoth
Aginoth Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi All.

New Member here but been living with Psoriatic, Rheumatoid, and Oesteo Arthritis for years, diagnosed in my early 30s, medically retired at 37 from the MoD where I was a Marine Engineer and a Health and Safety Policy bod, now 49...I'm going to outlive all of my family just to spite them :)

I'm Vice-chair of Disability Labour and campaign across the spectrum of disability. Married with 4 children (19,16,14,9) the eldest two of whom are autistic.

I'm also T1 Diabetic and have Fibromyalgia amongst a few other conditions thanks to Lyme Disease knackering my immune system when I was in my early 20s.

Fighting back, after many years of not being able to take part in my fave activity, Cycling, I have recently been given a test ride on a recumbent Trike and am now trying to raise enough money to buy one with the help of FreeTrike.co.uk (I won't post my GoFundMe page until I know it's allowed)

Cheers all
Dave / Agi

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dave and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

I'm sorry to hear about your range of arthritis conditions, diabetes and fibromyalgia. You certainly don't seem to let it all hold you back with campaigning :D

We generally don't allow fundraising links on the self-help forums but if forum members wish to ask you for details via Personal Messages that is fine.

With your experience and contacts, do feel free to post advice and join in on all the discussions.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi Aginoth and welcome from me too. You clearly have a lot going on (I just have RA and OA) and, with teenage children too, life must be hectic. I only had two doing the teenage years.

I admire your courage in going for a recumbent bike. I've only seen them on Venice Beach, California, though I think we had someone on here once who was cónsidering one. I hope you have lots of very quiet roads where you live as they'd be scary in traffic. Well, they'd scare me :lol: Good luck with your venture. I hope it works out for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi, just joined the forum, I might be able to help you with that trike.
    I've got a 10 year old ICE QNT that I never ride any more, it's just taking up space in my spare room, needs a few new bits but I doubt it's even done 100 miles.
    It's got all the quick release/folding options so it fits in the boot of a car - and I live in NE Somerset.
  • Brummiediv
    Brummiediv Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I live in NS too (BOS) I have a trike but find it makes my hip pain worse. Must keep going however!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Brummiediv & welcome to the forums.

Do come and tell us more about yourself & your experience with arthritis.

Perhaps you could all organise a local support group if there isn’t one in the area!

Best wishes
    Brynmor