My story about living with arthritis

Options
Clarebears
Clarebears Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
I am 39 year old lady

Hi all back in 2000 I was working and I was on my way to work as normal and I was travelling by bus and it was my next stop so I got up and pressed the bell suddenly out off no where a car went in front of the bus the driver of the bus had to do a emergency stop so with this I went flying back on to my back, I was asked at the time if I needed assistance I said I be fine.

I had to give up work because I suffered with low back pain in 2004 my daughter was born and my back really started to hurt some days I couldn’t even lift my baby girl up I knew something was wrong.

Went to my doctors they gave me tablets for the pain didn’t work so I changed doctors but at the time I was quite big cut a long long story short.

By now I am divorced and I have a new boyfriend who doesn’t live with me and my daughter

At my new doctors I asked them to look at my back so I was sent for a MRI scan this was in 2015 and I had lost a lot of weight by now had my results I couldn’t believe what I was reading I had damaged a bit of my spine in resulting of a heavy blow this was what I did in 2000 and i went to my doctors and they said I have arthritis in my spine and in my neck I cried.

I have had 4 injections in both my hips and 6 injections in my spine

It’s now 2019 I have arthritis in my neck spine hips and I have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and sciatica in both legs I sadly lost my dad last year that’s why I think my health has got worse I am on 16 tablets a day for all this plus I am on morphine patches and sadly my daughter is 15 now and she’s my young carer and she helps me dress cook wash and helps with shopping and she does this before school and after school.

My boyfriend helps when he can but he does a 38 hours a week at work 6 days a week so he helps on his days off.

That’s it my story 🐶🐶

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi clarebears and welcome,
    Sorry to read about your fall that long ago and the damage it has caused you now.
    Please take a tour around the website as there is a lot of different forums on here.
    Below is the link for the versus artiritis website

https://www.versusarthritis.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-aze2NO75AIVibHtCh2LHgCeEAAYASAAEgK9CvD_BwE

I have also attached the Helpline phone number 0800 520 0520
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi Clarebears and welcome from me too. Unfortunately, osteoarthritis can set in at the site of a former injury and that's clearly what happened in your case. And, once it arrives, it often moves into other joints partly because we hold ourselves and move differently in order to get some relief. This puts other joints under pressure and we can end up on a downward spiral. Pain relief isn't all it's cracked up to be. It dulls it somewhat but no more and, if we're not careful, we can end up taking stronger and stronger pain meds just to try to get the same effect.

I've have rheumatoid arthritis since I was your daughter's age and that ushered in osteo some years later. I've had knees and hips replaced. Other joints have fused. Learning to live with it is difficult but my solution is to get as much exercise as possible and take as little pain relief as possible.

It must be very hard both for you and your daughter. All the caring, however willingly given, must be affecting her schoolwork and in other ways. This site might be useful to her. https://tinyurl.com/y6rtdoew .

Have you been offered physio? And, have you seen an occupational therapist? (You can self-refer if you look up your local government website and go to Adult Social Care.) They could provide you with all sorts of things to not only make your life easier but also to make your daughter's life easier.

Some things you might consider:

1. I order my groceries online to be delivered every week. I need very little extra. Maybe the odd pint of milk or loaf.

2. Social Services have enabled me to install a walk-in shower with a seat and grab rails. This enables me to be completely independent for showering.

3. I can also dress independently by being very selective about clothes. Trousers are essential for me. I can't fiddle with dresses or skirts. I have a sock aid and a dressing stick. I can throw blouses over my head using the stick and shove them off likewise. I have a cheap button fastener.

4. In the kitchen, I ensure pans are lightweight and utensils have good grips. I steam most veg rather than boiling as the steamer parts are lightweight and the food tastes better. (And is healthier.)
    I have a microwave / oven which can be easier than putting eg lasagnes / cottage pies etc into a conventional oven. I have a brilliant electric clothes airer which even I can set up when required. It's great in winter when I can't hang the clothes out though both hanging them out / taking them in and also hanging them on the airer constitute good physio for me :lol:

I hope some of these ideas will be helpful for you. I'd strongly recommend you ask about physio and an Occupational Therapist. Even small changes will enable both you and your daughter to be more independent of each other and that will make both of you feel better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello again. I think you probably meant to reply to my post but, instead, you sent me a PM which consists only of what I typed. Many newbies miss the 'usual' 'reply' button. It's on the left, just underneath the square that has been typed in. Ignore the 'reply with quote' on the other side.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright