Getting sick

Options
JenF
JenF Member Posts: 11
edited 11. Sep 2019, 06:06 in Living with arthritis
Does anyone else get sick on pain meds? Is there a better alternative? Opioids including codeine make me feel so unwell.
Don’t you dare take away my HRT. It makes me feel more normal and helps my pain.

Comments

• Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I’m in that category. Apart from paracetamol that is. Sick,shaking,headaches, on anything else. Tried them all.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    There are non-opioid based 'painkillers'. Paracetamol is just one. Try asking your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JenF
    JenF Member Posts: 11
    Options
    There are non-opioid based 'painkillers'. Paracetamol is just one. Try asking your GP.

Naproxen makes me sick as well. This was with omeprazol.
    Are other delivery methods better for this, or is it the drug rather than just taking it orally?
    I just find that paracetamol and ibuprofen don’t actually help the pain in any way.
    Don’t you dare take away my HRT. It makes me feel more normal and helps my pain.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ibuprofen isn't a 'simple' painkiller: it's a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). They work differently by reducing inflammation but are notorious stomach irritators.

To the best of my very limited knowledge, opioids are orally taken until you get to the really big guns. There are patches for them.

Some people on here take amitriptyline or gabapentin but I think they're essentially for nerve pain.

Your GP is the best person to advise.
    Steven Wright
  • Juttle
    Juttle Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I had years of swallowing NSAIDS until they eventually hospitalised me, and damned nearly killed me! Now all I’m allowed is oramorph and cocodamol due to the damage done by the NSAIDS.

Nothing works, far too much oramorph just takes the edge off but I’ve not been pain free for more than 20 years. The best pain relief is in your head, work through the pain, adapt and overcome, I’m sure I’ve heard that somewhere, and learn to live with it. Doesn’t always work and I still end up some days as a jibbering wreck stoned on enough oramorph to down a cart Horse!
    Bob
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Juttle wrote:
    The best pain relief is in your head,

Bob, that should be writ large on every page here :D
    Steven Wright