newly diagnosed with osteoarthritis

littlepickle
littlepickle Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi I am 82 years and up to a month ago I was still very active, able to do gardening, DIY, and walking, all with not to much trouble. I did have odd bouts of pain in various joints which all died down quite quickly, then a month ago I woke up with extreme pain in both shoulders and both wrists. After moving and exercising joints this died down but still sore until the next morning when I woke up with extreme pain and stiffness again. This went on for two week at which point I went to see a doctor who took blood tests and found that it was normal so just probably osteoarthritis, I now have knees and hips quite painful but am still able to walk quite well. The doctor said I could take paracetamol, and advised me to see a physiotherapist. I have sent self referral forms to the physiotherapist department and am awaiting reply. I don't take paracetamol as it effects the warfarin I am on, this may change if it gets too bad.

My main question is, why have I suddenly been attacked on all these joints seemingly overnight.
In the afternoons I am almost normal and dread going to bed because within a few hours the pain comes back again -- is this it for the rest of my life.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,welcome to the forums - you will get all the help/support from our members.It may help if you look through our pamphlet
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis
    Keep in touch and good luck
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This must have come as a shock. I think arthritis usually does but, having got to 82, you might think you'd managed to dodge it.

It's possible that your active lifestyle has held back the worst of it. Y our muscles will be strong, strong muscles support joints so the pain is less acute. But, eventually, there comes a day when it does break through and can't be dismissed as a 'minor niggle'. My husband has always been extremely active. By the time he went to the GP with his hip pain it was so advanced he's now awaiting a new one.

There are lots of things we can do to minimise pain. Here are some suggestions https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/ . With osteoarthritis it's essentially a matter of keeping muscles exercised but not doing too much - very difficult to get the hang of and we all fail at times.

Your joints clearly dislike the enforced stillness of sleep. Make sure you have a good, supporting mattress and pillow. Try to keep turning in bed not just lying on one side.

I checked out warfarin and paracetamol on the NHS website and it seems you can take both though it's advised you take fewer paracetamol than someone not on warfarin. https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/warfarin/ The meds to avoid are aspirin and Non_Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories (NSAIDS) which contain ibuprofen. Other pain relief is available though. I wonder if your GP would refer you to a Pain Clinic. Their job is to help people get on top of pain.

I can't think of anything else right now but please ask if you have questions. As for your original question ie why? simply because it can I'm afraid.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • littlepickle
    littlepickle Member Posts: 3
    Thank you stickywicket, it was a shock but I thought I had just overdone it moving a delivery into daughter's shop (which I probably did do) but thought it would settle down over time. The real shock was after I was diagnosed by the doctor, and just told to take painkillers and moderate exercise for symptoms but no actual cure.
    You are quite right about keeping moving in bed to stave of pain I have found this works to a point.
    My daughter suggested using a soft topper on the bed, she lent me hers to try out and woke next in real agony, the topper had stopped me rolling over, so topper definite no no.
    Cheers littlepickle
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Beds are a very personal thing and what works for one doesn't seem to for another. I'm sorry the topper doesn't help. Mattresses only last well for about 10 years maximum so ,if yours is older, it might be worth investing in a new one but, if you do, forget about embarassment, go to a shop (or two) and try for some time before buying. I've done it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright