Hello a Newbie

Thisdamknee
Thisdamknee Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum, I had problems trying to gain access but Sharon came to my rescue and here I am.

I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of the Knee by my GP and the local hospital and was told not lift heavy items of course I am now retired but when I worked in an Events Team you can imagine the heavy lifting of boxes going to events and boy they were heavy when they returned containing laptops etc. I advised my employer that I could not handle lifting boxes but was advised that someone would help you lift as I was the only male in the team of twelve it was not an easy job for a female but they had to do it.

Also told by my GP not to pressure on the knee, I attended the physio but she told me not to walk about a stick but I do so it keeps in the narrow, I also told by her that I could not swim which I love but to do excercises (cardio - which you can find on You tube) you can go walking which I have done , all of a sudden I had pain in the knee it comes and goes although I take Solpadol, 30mg/500mg caplets, so I made an appointment to see the doctor and prescribed Fenbid Ibuprofen 5% w/w gel I only apply it when there is pain it does work, any of my life story and I hope we can share moments and have a laugh to keep us all insane.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Thisdamknee and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you have been having with your knee. It sounds like your job working in events would have been hard work, even without the osteoarthritis!

I can see you enjoy exercising and keeping active so I have provided a link with some information on exercises to help manage the pain of osteoarthritis in the knee.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/#exercises-to-manage-knee-pain

I have also provided a link with some more general information on managing pain which may help when you have one of the flare ups you mentioned.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

Please join in any of the forums where you feel comfortable and let us know how you are getting on.

Best Wishes,
    Alice
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi and welcome from me too.

I'm guessing this is osteoarthritis you have in your knee. I have RA and OA but both my knees have been replaced.

I confess I'm a bit puzzled by your physio's advice. When my knees were bad I had two small children and no-one told me not to lift them. (I don't try now as they're nearly 50 :lol: ) I also don't understand the advice not to swim. Swimming is usually highly recommended.

Sorry, I don't understand this " I attended the physio but she told me not to walk about a stick but I do so it keeps in the narrow"

Please join in anywhere on any threads. Living With Arthritis is the most popular forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Thisdamknee
    Thisdamknee Member Posts: 6
    Hi and welcome from me too.

I'm guessing this is osteoarthritis you have in your knee. I have RA and OA but both my knees have been replaced.

I confess I'm a bit puzzled by your physio's advice. When my knees were bad I had two small children and no-one told me not to lift them. (I don't try now as they're nearly 50 :lol: ) I also don't understand the advice not to swim. Swimming is usually highly recommended.

Sorry, I don't understand this " I attended the physio but she told me not to walk about a stick but I do so it keeps in the narrow"

Please join in anywhere on any threads. Living With Arthritis is the most popular forum.

Hi thank you for contacting me through this forum - the physio told me that could not walk with a walking stick which to me is a life saver I did not use them one day and trip on something crossing the road at the bus station and went flat , one of the helpers rushed over to help me up and seen the walking stick in my bag and said you should use your walking stick, the physio said no swimming which I myself is surprised that she told me this as I see from the comments on here that this is good way of movement for the joints so I am going to the swimming , I should have told the doctor about what she told me.

Hope you are ok you look after yourself and your family.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It still sounds odd and I think you should take further advice from your GP in case there is some medical reason why you shouldn't swim or use a stick.

Sticks are intended to balance us not support us so you should not lean on a stick. It should be held in the hand opposite to where your knee pain is and you should bring it forward with the bad knee. You should also be measured to ensure it's the right height for you. If any of these things don't happen you could be doing more harm than good.

Re exercising - here is VA's page on knee exercises https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/#exercises-to-manage-knee-pain
    and here is the renowned NCBI article on the value of swimming for knee OA
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26773104
    Unless, as I said, there is some medical reason why you shouldn't.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright