Hi there to all: a brief outline, and advice about beds?

Lou5357
Lou5357 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi there,

I have a couple of existing autoimmune disorders and am also in the process of being assessed for Lupus and early onset R.A owing to recent R.A symptoms and positive bloods for ANA. I also have a 20 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with spondylitis, but she does not know whether or not it is of the autoimmune variety as yet. (She did not ask the Orthopedic team and nobody bothered to tell her.)

In any event, my daughter wants a new bed - a hospital bed, basically, where the feet end or head end (or both) can be controlled by remote control.
I watched one in action in a well known bedroom furniture shop and was instantly rather worried (you can literally fold yourself in half by remote control). :o
Surely, this type of bed isn't meant for someone with arthritis etc in their spine? ,
Can anyone please enlighten me as to the way forward (in terms of beds/mattresses) for my daughter, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Lou5357, welcome to the forum!

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis and your own recent difficulties. Your daughter is certainly lucky to have such caring family.

Please know you have come to the right place for advice. I am sure our members will soon jump in with their recommendations but in the meantime I have provided a link which has some tips for setting up your home. There is a section on beds and mattresses about halfway down the page which your daughter may find useful.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/your-home

Please feel free to join in any of the forums and let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes,
    Alice
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome from me too.

I'm sorry to hear of your own problems and of your daughter's.

Beds? It's such a personal thing. The only way is to try - for ages, in the shop - before buying. Personally (I have had RA and OA for very many years) I go for sprung beds with the top 1/3 (1/4?) memory foam. But others differ. I've been in all too many hospital beds of the kind yo mention and I don't think one could fold oneself into them :lol: I think the top and bottom bit move but the central bit stays. However, commercial ones could be different. Some reputable places allow a trial for a set number of weeks. Might that be the way to go?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright