Newbie here

Options
Squizzlebee
Squizzlebee Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all,

I've browsed the website for a while but i'm new to the forum so thought I would say hello. I will try to keep this as short as possible.

I guess my journey started in April, although i've had lower back pain for years. I started getting a lot of pain at night in my lumbar spine, with muscle spasms and leaving me feel like if i moved wrong or turned over in bed I would get stuck. No luck getting in at the doctor after repeatedly trying, so I self referred to physiotherapy. I then got referred to an MRI after the excercises I was given made things a lot worse. When the results were in, the doctor that referred me called and said there was clear signs of arthritis in L4-5, I then got a letter saying my MRI was clear, and no further action was needed.

I'm feeling really disheartened at the moment, I know people can struggle for years to get a diagnosis and that I'm no exception, but 6 months and back to what felt like square one got to me. The letter was so inaccurate regarding my symptoms and things like job role that I contacted them. Had a meeting yesterday and just feel like I have been dismissed, and that I was a nuisance. When I asked for a copy of my MRI results it says moderate facet arthropathy in L4-S1 (and a disc bulge at L4). But they don't seem to be taking me seriously and insist that no-ones MRI is normal, and that I should just do physio and be more active.

I used to enjoy going to the gym and jogging, I'm 32 years old, I was a landscape gardener for 11 years and I'm now an agricultural mechanic. I can't even jog or go to the gym anymore, as it worstens the symptoms, and I get even less sleep and more discomfort during the day. I haven't slept a full night since the beginning of April (absolutely no exaggeration) because of the pain when I sleep, so I have to get up, move around and then end up on the sofa semi-upright to get more rest.

To cut an already long story short, they have reluctantly referred me to a pain managment clinic, and I have an appointment to attend a 3 hour seminar next Tuesday. I hope this is going to help, as I really am struggling at the moment.

Thanks for reading,

x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Squizzlebee, and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment, and I am sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing in your back. More so, that you have had a difficult time searching for an accurate diagnosis and as yet don't seem to have been given any plan going forward.

Although I cannot offer you the above, this forum is a great place where you can learn from others who have had similar experiences to yours, as well as find some information that you might find useful.

Regarding your pain management, you might find the following link useful:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

Also, a poor nights sleep will only worsen other symptoms. Although different things work for different people, here is some information which you may find helpful:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/sleep

There is also our helpline team that are available to talk confidentially:

0300 790 0400 (Monday - Friday, 9am - 8am)

Please let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes,
    Alice
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hope it will help too. I'm sorry, I've no real experience of back problems - mine's everywhere else :lol: MRIs are usually accurate and docs can be a bit dismissive of OA as there's not much they can do. I very much hope the Pain Clinic will be able to help you. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright