Good things that arthritis has brought

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 17. Sep 2019, 11:57 in Living with arthritis
Airwave's lovely, positive post on Twirlywoo's thread made me think of this. It's all too easy to list the negatives about arthritis but there are many positive things too which it brings or highlights. Here are some of mine:

1. Time with family
2. Good friends (not just fair weather ones)
3. The kindness of strangers
4. Riding for the Disabled (I'd never ridden a horse before)
5. Awareness that happiness is not dependent on health or wealth.

What are some of yours?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What a great thought, SW! there have been so main positives -

1 How very fortunate I am to have enjoyed nearly 40 hyperactive years that enabled me to stay reasonably mobile after OA landed.

2 Like SW I'm also very thankful to RDA but from a different perspective. In 25 years as a voluntary instructor I met so many inspiring people living with cruel and life-limiting conditions that, by the time I was diagnosed, I (theoretically) knew a lot about practical coping strategies and the importance of making the most of every day one is privileged to live.

3 When RDA work became too difficult I increased my commitment to Samaritans because it didn't need me to be physically active. Yet again I gained far more for myself than I ever gave to others!

4 Spending the last three years, along with my OH, following a part-time MA course - outcome pending! I would never have sat still for long enough to do that had I remained fully physically active and my OH would have done it alone. What a lot I'd have missed!

5 Loads of other things including that I can get through whatever life throws in my path, emerging older but wiser, stronger and with a deeper appreciation of my personal faith journey.

With apologies for being long-winded!!
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Options
    I too have been able to be at home when my hubby had a rare type of spinal cancer and I was able to support and care for him while he underwent high dose radiotherapy and surgery. He had never been in hospital and was terrified.

I have had the time to get a loom and teach myself weaving from books. Something I had always wanted to do. I like to weave blankets and donate them to fundraising events.

I helped to save a small allotment site locally that the parish council was going to close as it was overgrown and unused. It is now mostly productive and still available to locals who want to use it. Growing things helps with my coping with pain.

To realise that we can't always control everything in our lives but have the strength to take on the curve balls we are sometimes thrown.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Thank you, guys. Even arthritis can bring good things and it helps to remember that. Learning about others' positive experiences helps me and, I'm sure, others.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright