Bios?

Options
NyHeb
NyHeb Member Posts: 7
edited 15. Sep 2019, 12:59 in Living with arthritis
I have only recently heard about them. Is anyone using them now? I've read amazing reports. My rheumatology team have never mentioned bios and I came across them quite by accident. I'd love to hear first hand experience as I'm having a pretty bad time on my drugs & would like to bring the topic up with my consultant. Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nyheb

Can you expand a little on what you mean by "bios" please. I'm not sure if you mean drugs that are "biosimilar"?

If so, then this page on our website may be of interest:
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/news/the-rise-of-biosimilars/

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nyheb

I’m wondering if you mean Biologics?

I’ve been on Benepali, the bio-similar of Etanercept, for the last fifteen months.
    It has changed my life!
    Mind you, it took me ten years of faffing about on other DMARDs to get there.

I think the reason that they’re generally not first line treatment of RA is down to a few reasons.
    If your disease can be controlled with cheaper, less risky meds then it seems sensible that they be tried first, frustrating though that is.

Benepali costs the NHS c £200 a doses d I have one a week. I still have to take methotrexate but a lower dose than before.
    It’s reduced my RA symptoms by about 95% - but that’s at the cost of increased susceptibility to infections and a few issues with benign papilloma on my scalp.
    I’ll take it, though, because I can now do all the things I used to do prior to RA