HRT and RA medications.

Options
Becky88
Becky88 Member Posts: 96
edited 25. Sep 2019, 08:39 in Living with arthritis
Hello to you all. I hope that you are as well as possible.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice about whether they have been able to take HRT while being on medication for RA. I am currently taking Hydroxychloroquine and have Tocilizumab infusions. I will, of course, check this with my RA Consultant but I am always grateful for the advice of people on the forum who have actually been in the same, or at least, a similar situation.

Thank you very much, in advance of any help you can offer.

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Some years ago, with the agreement of my rheumy, I started a course of HRT whilst on MTX. I took it for 3 years even though it caused problems (heavy and painful periods). I eventually stopped. I tried it because of my high risk of Osteoporosis. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and after treatment for that I developed Vasculitis and Osteoporosis. :roll:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It never occurred to me to go down the HRT route but I am of the generation where it was accepted as a natural occurrence rather than something not to be confronted. Life was hell for a few years but now? Done, dusted, just a different kind of hell with the arthritis meds and pain hot flushes :lol: I felt my body had enough to cope with already, why stress it further with fake hormones? The anti-TNFs have already raised the risk of cancer, why enhance it? Didn't make sense to me then and still doesn't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Becky88
    Becky88 Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Thank you both very much for your replies. I find it so helpful to receive opinions and experiences from other people who understand the illness and the implications of taking more medication. Thank you.
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options
    I think the type of HRT, the reasons for having it and the route administered are all worth asking about.

I was prescribed it post-menopause. Thankfully, I didn’t have a bad time getting through it but I know many women do.

The reason I was given topical HRT - it goes where the sun don’t shine - is to treat atrophy.
    Getting older means one makes the acquaintance of issues our mothers were too embarrassed to talk about and just put up with.

Amongst other things, one becomes more prone to UTIs after menopause.
    And if one is already susceptible to infections, anything that will help - ie low dose topical HRT - can only be a good thing for me.

Interestingly, my RA only really raised it head peri-menopausally so although research hasn’t shown any definitive link I think in my case it was relevant.

I think it’s definitely worth a chat with the Rheumatologist at your next appointment.
  • Kitty
    Options
    BettyMac, although I did take HRT for a while it was never for Menopausal problems. I simply never had any -lucky me. :D My mother and her mother both had Osteoporosis (mum had a Colles fracture while gran was a tiny lady with a very stooped back) So with me having RA(D) I gigured it would rear it's ugly head eventually, and sure enough it did. :shock: At least 4 spinal fractures, which although they have healed are still causing a lot of pain. :roll:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• BettyMac
    Options
    Hi KathleenT

I’m sorry to hear about your back and the pain you have to put up with.
    Have you been prescribed anything for the osteoporosis?

I keep swithering between osteoporosis and osteopoenia and they’re very keen for me to take something to stop it getting any worse but I’m not keen on any more meds.
    It’s up for review at my next rheumatology appointment.
  • Kitty
    Options
    Yes, I take Adcal D3 twice daily and I have had two infusions of Zoledronic Acid (a bisphonate) infusions and expect to have a third soon. Then it is up to my Rheumy what happens next. To either continue with the Zoledronate, have a drug holiday, or change to another drug. Have you visited the Royal Osteoporosis Societies website yet? https://theros.org.uk/ The nurses that man (or woman) the helpline are very knowledgeable and helpful, should you need their advice.

• BettyMac
    Options
    Thanks for the info and link, Kathleen.

I’m on calcium and Vit D too. They offered me the infusion a couple of years ago but I refused. I know I’m going to have to deal with it properly at some point though.
    I live in hope that they’ll come up with something better if I wait long enough, risky though that is.
    In the meantime, I try to eat sensibly and stay off the giggle-juice and do weight bearing exercise.

Hope you’re having a good day

Betty