Worst flare of my life

Jaime2107
Jaime2107 Member Posts: 2
edited 30. Sep 2019, 17:36 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone, I just need bit of help I'm having the worst flare of my life an its been going on for 3 weeks now an showing no signs of easing up I tried hot an cold patches all over me as well as painkillers u name it I tired it but nothings workingi can hardly stand or move arms an typing this is excruciating I been diagnosed with r. A for just over a year an on highest dose of methotrexate an Sulphasalzine but am going to be moved onto a new drug soon as the meds I on dnt seem to be working im 41 years old an if have live like this for rest of my life makes me feel like giving up already but I no I won't always be in pain an probs just feeling very sorry for myself coz of the pain I'm in at the moment so any tips on how u all cope during a bad flare be greatful many thanks x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jaime and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain from a bad flare in your rheumatoid arthritis. It is so difficult when nothing you try seems to help and the medication seems so inadequate.

The flare up will pass and trying to stay as comfortable as possible until it ends is quite often the best you can do. Any distraction at all that takes your attention away from focussing on the pain is the best thing to look for. I'm assuming you are in touch with your doctor and are talking to them to see if they can make any suggestions.

You might like to talk to someone in confidence on our Helpline: telephone free 0800 5200 520 (Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm).

There is a pretty comprehensive page on our website on pain management, hopefully with a couple of things you might like to try out now, plus some longer term strategies for when things get a little easier:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

None of us here are medically qualified but members will be able to suggest the ways they have used to cope through their own flare ups in the past.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Hi. Sorry to read you are having a tough time of it. RA is such an unpredictable horror at times. I also have it. It affects us all in many different ways. Are you able to contact your Dr or rhuemy helpline to move things on faster? In the meantime rest up and take it easy. Hope you get the right meds before too long.
  • Bluebell7
    Bluebell7 Member Posts: 41
    Jaime2107 wrote:
    Hi everyone, I just need bit of help I'm having the worst flare of my life an its been going on for 3 weeks now an showing no signs of easing up I tried hot an cold patches all over me as well as painkillers u name it I tired it but nothings workingi can hardly stand or move arms an typing this is excruciating I been diagnosed with r. A for just over a year an on highest dose of methotrexate an Sulphasalzine but am going to be moved onto a new drug soon as the meds I on dnt seem to be working im 41 years old an if have live like this for rest of my life makes me feel like giving up already but I no I won't always be in pain an probs just feeling very sorry for myself coz of the pain I'm in at the moment so any tips on how u all cope during a bad flare be greatful many thanks x

Hi Jamie,
    Hope you feel much better very soon.
    Have you tried fentanyl patches for the pain?
    Take care
  • Annfield
    Annfield Member Posts: 28
    Hi Jamie. I'm sorry your arthritis has flared. I have Psoriatic Arthritis and mine has flared too. I have been on Methotrexate for years and I now inject it myself at home. I had a steroid injection last week but I feel worse. I have had this condition since I was 23 and I'm in my 50's now and still looking for answers. All I can advise is take your pain medication and try to keep moving but don't over do it. I haven't found a supplement that's worked for me yet however I will try anything. I work full time, shifts and long hours. I have to keep going but I wish I didn't have to work. I wish you well and hope your feeling better soon. Take care t69044