Baricitinib 4mg and weight gain

Options
Bonesofsteel
Bonesofsteel Member Posts: 2
edited 5. Dec 2019, 15:43 in Living with arthritis
Hi

I have been on baracitinib for 4 months and my weight is just going up and up! Has anyone experienced the same? I am already classed as obese and really try to lose weight but with all the med/steroids this is really making me miserable. :roll:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bonesofsteel,

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you are on one of the newer medications, here’s the information we have on the VersusArthritis website

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/baricitinib/

I know how you feel re weight, it’s very hard to work out how many calories you need to do very little! Willpower is also difficult especially if you feel the need for a treat after a bad day pain wise.

My weight crept up around a stone a year. When I was told I could have a new knee it just seemed right to give myself and 'daisy' (new knee) the best start so I investigated and went for a low carb diet, largely because you don’t have to feel hungry. I was lucky my husband and my Mum joined me and we each lost an amazing 3 stones each in 9 months and then I kept it off through Christmas and got daisy in early January.

We’ve had members who post on here with their weight to get help and support whilst they lose weight and some have really done well, so help is here if you need it. Actually a note to self is necessary as I need to lose some weight which has sneaked back on lately.

Do keep posting, I’ll join you if you set up a thread and we can see how it goes

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Weight increase is listed as an uncommon side effect of baracitinib, but steroids can also cause weight gain, so you may be facing a double whammy there!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Have you contacted your rheumatology unit to report this side-effect? I think they should be made aware if they don't know. Barictinib is one of the bio-similars and they are a very new group of medication so all relevant feedback is important. I too gained weight when on steroids but when I came off them it went.

Dealing with weight gain combined with the pain and other dross that comes with arthritis is very hard; finding the motivation to diet and exercise is particularly challenging, even those without arthritis struggle and they're pain-free. I inadvertantly became fitter after a more-active-than-usual summer in 2017 and that inspired me to work with a personal trainer. I have had a lousy summer and lost much of what I gained but I know it can be done because I did it so I can do it again. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stuartgoble
    stuartgoble Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I've also been on Baricitinib since the spring of last year along with Leflonomide and I've seen fabulous results in my mobility, but also seen weight gain and have a constant bloated stomach ache.

So I'm mobile and pretty pain-free (so much so I'm back doing yoga) but about a stone heavier and feeling rubbish in my guts.

It seems you can't win with this, but I'd rather be a mobile pain-free person than what I was before.

But if anyone has any ideas how to stop the weight gain I'd love to hear them as I reckon they'll classify me as morbidly obese in a few months if this doesn't slow down.
  • Saltmarsh
    Saltmarsh Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Baricitinib was magica for me. No side effects other than a few hot flushes that I'm aware of - but I can put weight on for no reason! though steroids are well known to do so. It is a good idea to mention anything untoward. B. is a v new Jak-Inhibitor that They will value feedback on. (Don't ask me to explain what it means - something about targeting inside a molecule rather than outside; or something.!). We are fortunate to have it as V. expensive. Best wishes.
  • HilaryB
    HilaryB Member Posts: 2
    Options

Been on Barcitinib for 3 months, weight piling on every week! I should be about 9stone 7 lbs now 10stone 3lbs! have no real appetite, can go a day without wanting to eat. So depressed, as I also have have Osteoathritis as well as Osteopaenia, so must keep my weight down .Never known such a fast weight gain. I try to eat small quantities of healthy food, and avoid sugar What on earth is going on?

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @HilaryB and welcome to the online community,

You've been on Barcitinib for three months and you've seen an increase in your weight, even though you try to eat healthily. Although I can't find anything about weight gain on this medication on the Versus Arthritis or NHS website, from the posts above, it does seem that this could be a side effect. Other members may be able to tell you of their experiences with the drug.

Meanwhile, the VA website has a useful page on eating well with arthritis - not just to manage your weight but to keep you as healthy as possible. Here's the link:

I understand that you have osteoarthritis and ostopaenia as well, and understandably this is getting you down. The emotional impact of arthritis can be as challenging as the physical so it's important to look after yourself, mentally and physically.

Do keep in touch, have a look round the forum and join in whenever you feel comfortable.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

1961 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi, I feel the exact same bloated stomach constant stomach pain , and weight gain, trying to control my eating habits, but the medication has giving me life again, , 😃 good luck