edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi,
I have long-standing PsA and Fibromyalgia

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome - please join in on any of the discusions,I'm sure they will prove useful.
    Al
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have psoriatic, osteoarthritis and fibromylgia. The psoriatic began in 1997 when I was 37 and wasn't accurately diagnosed until 2006; I began meds in 2002 and the diagnosis (like the meds) made little difference to what was going on.

We cannot advise on medication because we are not docs. I have not had the success that others have with even the basic DMARDs but I am fully aware that the meds have slowed the progression of the PsA so for that I am grateful. I currently take injected methotrexate and humira for the PsA and 30/500 cocodamol for the OA, they dull enough of the sharper edges of the pain to enable me to get on. I pretend I 'manage' the OA with exercise and rest and am fortunate now to be retired so I can please myself with how much activity I do. No matter the task I do a little then rest a little, if a big event is coming up I prepare by resting for longer in the preceding days and have been known to increase how often I take my pain relief intake to help me cope better; I usually work on eight-hour gaps so that leaves plenty of room to maneouvre. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    HI have longstanding RA and OA. I wouldn't dream of advising about medication as that's up to your rheumatologist. There are many DMARDS and biologics (I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine) and what you take wikll be a matter for discussion between you and your consultant. There are no magic wands. It's more a matter of which med suits which patient.

If you're having a lot of fatigue are you flaring? What do your blood results show? If you're in a flare your meds might need tweaking so you should call your rheumatolgy helpline.

As for fatigue, paradoxical though it sounds, I use exercise - gentle, range of movement ones when flaring and strengthening ones when not. Versus Arthritis has a good section on fatigue and how we can overcome it here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-fatigue/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DeborahmC
    DeborahmC Member Posts: 6
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, I have psoriatic, osteoarthritis and fibromylgia. The psoriatic began in 1997 when I was 37 and wasn't accurately diagnosed until 2006; I began meds in 2002 and the diagnosis (like the meds) made little difference to what was going on.

We cannot advise on medication because we are not docs. I have not had the success that others have with even the basic DMARDs but I am fully aware that the meds have slowed the progression of the PsA so for that I am grateful. I currently take injected methotrexate and humira for the PsA and 30/500 cocodamol for the OA, they dull enough of the sharper edges of the pain to enable me to get on. I pretend I 'manage' the OA with exercise and rest and am fortunate now to be retired so I can please myself with how much activity I do. No matter the task I do a little then rest a little, if a big event is coming up I prepare by resting for longer in the preceding days and have been known to increase how often I take my pain relief intake to help me cope better; I usually work on eight-hour gaps so that leaves plenty of room to maneouvre. DD

Thanks for your reply, I’m sorry I didn’t express myself properly as I wouldn’t seek advice on medication from a group forum like this. I have queries about the NICE guidelines on Biologics and have contacted the advice line regarding these.
  • DeborahmC
    DeborahmC Member Posts: 6
    Options
    HI have longstanding RA and OA. I wouldn't dream of advising about medication as that's up to your rheumatologist. There are many DMARDS and biologics (I take methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine) and what you take wikll be a matter for discussion between you and your consultant. There are no magic wands. It's more a matter of which med suits which patient.

If you're having a lot of fatigue are you flaring? What do your blood results show? If you're in a flare your meds might need tweaking so you should call your rheumatolgy helpline.

As for fatigue, paradoxical though it sounds, I use exercise - gentle, range of movement ones when flaring and strengthening

ones when not. Versus Arthritis has a good section on fatigue and how we can overcome it here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-fatigue/

Thanks for your reply, I’m sorry I didn’t express myself properly as I wouldn’t seek advice on medication from a group forum like this. I have queries about the NICE guidelines on Biologics and have contacted the advice line regarding these.