Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Biologics

DeborahmCDeborahmC Posts: 6
edited 10. Oct 2019, 10:31 in Chat to our Helpline Team
Hi, I am currently on my second Biologic for PsA (Secukinamab) prior to that I was on Humira which failed after approximately 2.5 years of working well. I have only had a more partial response to Secukinamab since starting it 12 months ago. I would say it only partially alleviates the symptoms of joint swelling and pain for approximately 2 weeks per month. My joint pain and swelling is increasing progressively each month and my skin plaques are also returning.
At a recent review I was informed that under the NICE Guidelines I am entitled to try 3 different Biologics ‘as of right’ but following that there would need to be individual application for funding. Therefore I was advised not to rush to move to a third Biologic. Can you shed any further light on this for me? In particular what are the chances that I would not be granted individual funding or is this merely routine as this is causing me quite a bit of anxiety. I am also considering moving to either Wales or Scotland is it correct that I would then be able to start again with the entitlement to 3 Biologics? Are there any restrictions on this that I should be aware of? Thank you for your assistance.

Comments