Hi :)

Options
differentlyabledG
differentlyabledG Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi, I'm new here!
I'm 22 and I have severe osteoarthritis in my ankle. I've tried numerous treatments including medication, pain management, physiotherapy, acunpunture, and keyhole surgery, steroid injections but nothing has helped. I'm now in the process of trying to convince my consultant to do an ankle replacement.
I walk with a stick a lot of the time and find it really hard to get up in the mornings and do my day to day activities.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi differentlyabledG and welcome to Versus Arthritis forums.

I'm sorry to hear of your severe osteoarthritis in the ankle. It is worth checking through the information on the website about the subject as it has some helpful sections on exercise, footware and also possible surgery options.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-oa-of-the-foot-and-ankle/

Do join in across the forums and also let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi. I'm guessing you've had some sort of trauma to the ankle in the past. I have widespread RA and OA and, as a result, my ankles fused themselves over the years. The process was excruciatingly painful but the outcome is virtually no pain which is wonderful.

I've had hips and knees replaced but would never dream of trying to persuade my surgeon – any surgeon – to do an operation they felt was not in my best interests. After all, they have years of training and expertise and I merely have years of living with whatever joint it is. One of my hip replacements is now knackered but my surgeon will not operate unless it becomes a matter of life or death as he feels the op is now too dangerous for me.

I can understand your surgeon's reluctance, especially as you are so young. Ankle replacements do not have the longevity of hip and knee ones. Fusion is usually regarded as a much better option in younger patients. Have a read here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705040/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright