This is my story so far so let me divulge into it via a chronological timeline.
1) I was an active 16 year old with a promising football career when my knees became very swollen. Also my jaw became very stiff and even locked up sometimes. I had no idea what it was and after a year the doctor diagnosed me with reactive arthritis.
2) I had both my knees drained and had cortisone steroids injected in both. They both recovered well and I felt like i was on the mend and this awful experience which has lasted about 18 months was over. Over the next couple of years my jaw became less stiff and did not lock up anymore even though it still clicks and is a bit stiff to this day. My knees were fine but the right one was still a bit dodgy
3) I am now 25 and my right knee has been swollen for a good 4 years now and I have had it drained about three times but not to a good standard. I believe they were poorly executed procedures. I went back to the rheumatologist the other day and he wants to put me on DMARDS but i am very against it as my knee is still pretty useable its just very swollen, i don't think its worth the risk. What i think should happen is a very thorough drainage of my right knee with steroids injected into it.
basically i think my treatment plan should go as follows:
1) Get the knee drained thoroughly meaning do not leave until there is no fluid left on the knee and then get steroids injected into it.
2) After that take all the supplements and least volatile drug to help combat the knee swelling up again. Also build the muscle up around the knee to give it a better chance of not swelling up.
So basically i have the following questions which i'd like answered please.
1) What alternative solutions to DMARDS could i initially take to try to offset the swelling? Surely having the knee drained every 6 months would be better than taking these lethal drugs every day for the rest of my life.
2) Do i have rheumatoid arthritis or is this just another flare up from reactive arthritis?
3) Why would the left knee recover completely and not the right knee?
4) Does anyone have any herbal/diet/food/supplement/NSAID suggestions that helps their swelling?
Cheers everyone, hope to hear a reply