Is it arthritis?

Willfrank84
Willfrank84 Member Posts: 2
edited 2. Dec 2019, 05:46 in Living with arthritis
Starting about 6 months ago I began having chronic ankle pain. I have had orthotics for about 6 years now. I assumed my orthotics were just old and worn out so I ordered new ones. The pain never got better, only worse.

I went to the dr and he ordered x rays but neither the weight bearing or non weight bearing showed anything. I started physio but they said I had no muscle weakness, no limited range of motion, and just started doing ultrasound therapy to reduce swelling. I didn't find any change after 6 treatments and stopped.

I am on my feet for 8 hours every day at work. I am at a point where to reduce overall pain I wear an ankle brace half of every shift, but once I get home and am off my feet for 30 to 60 mins I limp when on my feet. After a few hours or in the morning the pain and stiffness is bad enough if I want to walk to the bathroom I use a crutch as my ankle takes a minute or two to warm up to use it seems.

I fear taking pain medication because I have an inner ear condition in both ears very sensitive to ototoxic medications. It's been advised to me to not take ibuprofen, before these chronic ankle problems. It's almost entirely my right ankle, though the left has begun developing slight pain now as well. It turns red and swells every day.

Is it arthritis? If so what kind? What does everyone here do for it? My physiotherapist and Dr have no idea. I have an orthopedic Dr appointment but it will likely be many months before I see him. I have no hope my Dr takes me seriously. I told him I didn't feel I could keep working on my feet and his response was "People with OA work".

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Willfrank84
    Welcome to the forum,everyone on tis forum have various forms of Arthritis and understand what you are going through, we have all been through the gambit of being diagnosed and it can be a lengthy progress as the boxes are ticked ,you say you have an Orthoepaidic appointment when you see them then hopefully get a diagnosis,until then just chat to people on the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry you're having so much trouble getting a proper diagnosis for your pain. We can't diagnose on here as we have no medical qualifications but x-rays and scans are usually pretty accurate.

Of course it's best to get to the róot cause if you can but, in the meantime, pain relief can be useful. I checked out ototoxic drugs and, yes, anti-inflammatories are, but it didn't mention simple pain relieving ones. Perhaps your GP would prescribe some.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Good morning
    Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find the members are friendly, will offer you advice, empathy, suggestions on things they have found helpful. I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis "hanger ons" or look after family with the same.
    It would be ideal if you could post again telling us more about the problems your wife has. Has she been to see her doctor to discuss these problems with him? Has she a diagnosis of arthritis and,if so what type does she have?
    At the top of this page you will see buttons on the various subjects Versus Arthritis cover and there are many different topics related to arthritis and related conditions.
    Looking forward to reading future posts to see how your wife is getting on.
    Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Don't you think that, if there was a cure for gout, the NHS would have heard of it?

I get angry at the snake oil salespeople who peddle their wares making money out of other people's pain. Of course reviews are positive. This is just an e-book. The author isn't going to post adverse reviews.

This is what Versus Arthritis says about gout versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/gout/ and this is what the NHS says https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gout/. There is no mystique to eating the right things, keeping to a healthy weight, not smoking, drinking only in moderation and exercising. And, if it recurs, docs can prescribe medication. A friend has never had it since he began taking allopurinol.

But first do ascertain whether or not this is gout. It might be something completely different.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What an odd post from johnaugustine, completely lacking detail or background. Whereabouts in the wife's legs? How long for? Does the pain ebb or reduce after rest? When does it worsen? What, if any, medication is she currently taking?

Although gout is one of the three hundred or so auto-immune inflammatory diseases it differs to arthritis in what it does and how it does it. Like arthritis, however, it will not be 'cured' by diet, eating daisies, dancing widdershins around a maypole on the third Tuesday of every month, buying gadgetry or any of the peddled 'get me rich quick' dross which never fails to appeal to the frightened, the bewildered, the wishful thinkers. My husband has the occasional blast of gout in one of his big toes, a few days of naproxen and rest settles things down again until the next time. They are months apart and do not cause constant bother anywhere else. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben