Hello

Options
mahon1930
mahon1930 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello
today I have actually been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis, it has come as a bit of a shock I just thought the swelling was due to age especially having being told it was not?.
the future looks bleak. It started over a year and a half ago a couple of swellings that would come and go then suddenly decided to stay.
The pain at times is unbearable and literally bring me to tears.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mahon1930,

Welcome to the forum, I’ve moved your post to the Say Hello Forum. I know it seems bleak when you get a diagnosis of any arthritis, they do start at all ages - when I was first diagnosed I went from pain in my wrist and fingers to widespread pain in may joints almost overnight - I don’t know why!

You will need to start some medication soon and it can take a while to start to work, around 12 weeks and while that goes on you can also take other pain medications.

It’s a lot to take in - here’s our booklet on Rheumatoid Arthritis (RAj
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/

Take it slowly, look after yourself, try lots of distractions, I like reading, wandering round the garden, snuggling up watching a favourite tv programme.

Finding your way round the forum will be a good distraction, join in on a few threads and you will find you’ve lots of new friends to support you and have a smile along the way

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello Mahon1930.

I'm sure this has come as a nasty shock but I assure you the future need not be bleak. I was diagnosed with RA at 15. I'm now 73 and still enjoying life.

I presume the rheumatologist diagnosed you. Have you been prescribed a disease modifying med such as methotrexate? Any pain relief?

There are lots of ways we can combat both the disease and the pain. Would you like to give us a few more details? That would help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. As you are probably discovering arthritis is not as cut-and-dried as you perhaps thought, for a very common disease there is a great deal of general ignorance, stupidity and utter incomprehension.

I was born with auto-immune issues so sixty years in with life the fact I am in a mess is no surprise as I always have been :lol: I was surprised ti be diagnosed with osteoarthritis back in 2011 because I thought I had ticked the arthriitis box by having psoriatic arthritis but no, it turns out one can have both types: my mother always told me that if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well.

There are around three hundred kind of auto-immune inflammatory conditions so diagnosis may not be straightforward, in my case it took nine years and changed nothing. I won't repeat Sticky's questions but a little more info would be helpful especially as I am having a rough day and don't have much energy at the moment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Oh Mahon I am so sorry you are suffering so badly I very much hope 'they' get you on a drug regime which gets things under control for you very soon.

I totally understand the pain.. It's like nothing else is it? Even the sheets hurt :(

Take care and hang around the people on here are lovely and very knowledgeable.

Toni xx