Hello

Options
Nicolaf
Nicolaf Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Just diagnosed with RA, in wrists/hands. I have concerns re methotrexate, ie side effects, and does it work as well as I am told it will! Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nicola
    Welcome to the forum,Rhumatoud Arthritis and Osteoarthritis and any type of disease that causes pain and changes for your life is not good and I am so sorry you have it in your wrists,everyone on this forum can empathize with you as they all have various levels of pain and various forms of Arthritis. It is good to talk with others who suffer as you do, this forum can help with communication the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Nicolaf

Sorry to hear your recent diagnosis of RA. You say you are suffering mostly in your hands and wrists which is not uncommon.

The powers that be are recommending Methotrexate (MTX) and you are understandably worried about what you have read.

Ita case of weighing up the possible side effects against the likelihood of joint damage. Not everyone gets the side effects and there are things which can be done to minimise any effects.

If you read back at previous threads on the subject it might help you decide. Whatever you do I can assure the people here will support you through your treatment ((()))

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am positive from my own experience, and what I have witnessed over the years in rheumatology waiting rooms, is that the sooner one begins the meds, thus bringing disease activity under control, the better the outcome can be. I began with far too little far too late so am in a right old pickle now.

I have had very little trouble with meth, I began with the tablets but developed a forearm rash: after years of chronic eczema I barely noticed it, it didn't itch or anything but my rheumatologist was upset so took me off it. Now I inject it and, apart from feeling extra tired every now and again after the jab, I'm fine. Compared with its use in treating other conditions we take it at miniscule amounts and of course those who have no trouble with it naturally assume it's the same for everyone else.

Be conscientious with your blood tests as they will pick up the first signs of anything going amiss. They have done so with me on one notable occasion, I was feeling fine but things were going wrong (this was with another med, hopefully of the kind you won't need to take because the meth is enough). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Nicolaf
    Options
    Hi, thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate the support and encouragement. I'm not due to see the rheumatology nurse until early January so I expect they will talk me through it all but I'm feeling a bit more positive now thanks to you all!

My other concern is that my immune system is already suppressed ( no spleen) so am at risk of infection anyway, but consultant advised they would be keeping a very close eye on me, which is reassuring! Anyone out there on methotrexate and have had a splenectomy?

Thanks again
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Nicolaf, just adding a little bit to this conversation :D

Yes, they will indeed be keeping a close eye on you, with blood tests every couple of weeks to start with! We have a comprehensive page about methotrexate on the website:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/methotrexate/

... which includes information on side effects, how to help avoid infections and that it can take a while to start working.

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Nicolaf
    Options
    Many thanks Brynmor, will let you know how I get on. Will read everything I can find on the medication.

Kindest regards
    Nicola
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Don't read 'everything', Nicola :wink: There's a lot of misinformation on the net and especially bear in mine that people who post on forums ssuch as these are far more likely to be the nes who have problems. Those without problems don't need to :D

I've been on methotrexate for about 20 years. No problems apart from an occasional day of tiredness afterwards. I understand your concerns about your lack of a spleen but we are really well monitored by blood tests and I don't think anything would get past them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Nicolaf
    Options
    Hi stickywicket. Thank you for your message, it really is so encouraging for me to hear you only occasionally have some tiredness, whilst on methotrexate, (and of course wonderful for you). I think this is what I 'need' to hear to help me try and keep positive. My imagination was beginning to run riot and was thinking all the worst side effects would happen to me!

Will take your advice and stop reading too much on the medication!

So glad I came on to this site, lovely supportive people, means a lot to me.

Take care
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Glad to be of help, Nicola :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright