saying hello

Options
kaz1968
kaz1968 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Good Evening, this is my first post, my name is Karen and i am 51, i have been recently diagnosed with early onset Osteo Arthritis. I have been struggling the last few weeks, so I am eager to have a look at the forums and get some much needed advice.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,

You aren’t alone in getting osteoarthritis pre retirement. I was 45 when first diagnosed, though I was asked what I expected at my age by a young doctor :wink:

Here’s our general link regarding osteoarthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

We do have others specifically covering the main joints that can be affected too so you may want to look for one of those on the versusarthritis.org.uk website.
    Osteoarthritis (OA) is when your cartilage is worn away - eventually you will get to bone on bone which isn’t very good for movement. Conversely exercise is essential to tone up the muscles that work your joint, keeping them strong means you can keep going for longer. That’s good because you want to delay replacement joint operations as long as possible.

Replacements are great, Daisy is my new knee, she’s not as good as someone’s knee minus osteoarthritis but she is brilliant compared to what I had. Eventually she will wear out and to replace a replacement is a trickier operation, they have to saw away more bone etc. Delaying that has to be good.

Let us know how we can help you more specifically, that’s what we’re here for

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I began my first arthritis when I was 37 then osteo wss diagnosed when I was 52. Some joints have one, some the other and a couple have both.

Arthritis is possibly the most common disease in the UK and, until they have it, people think they know what it is. Twerps. I'm off to make a cuppa, I've been doing my Christmas tree and I am tired, this time for a good reason. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben