Funny lump

Options
Sparrow75
Sparrow75 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
The pain in my back and hips has woken me up and now I can’t get back to sleep, it’s so frustrating and adds to the fatigue, how do people manage to sleep with pain?. I noticed today a pea size lump on the palm of my hand by my ring finger which I can move under the skin (made me feel a bit queasy!) there’s pain a stiffness there too is this OA related or do I need to get it checked? Thank you in advance :-)

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    GET THE LUMP CHECKED OUT! Don't know if it OA related but any lumps need to be checked by a GP. As for sleeping with pain it isn't easy, I manage about 2-3 hours a night but despite asking my GP for help he said that as I was unable to work it was not a problem if I nodded off during the day!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Sparrow75,

Thanks for sharing with us, is the back pain and hip pain something you’ve had long term? I have pain in my neck which can get bad and quite tricky to manage but when it’s been my lower back it seems worse simply because you can’t do anything without it being painful.

We have 2 leaflets that might help you, here’s one on sleep

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/sleep/

And this one is about back pain

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/back-pain/

About the lump, I have a couple of nodules - no treatment needed - and it may be this, though you will need to see a doctor or nurse to really identify it.

Let us know how you get on,

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I too have a lump, about 1cm down from my middle finger on my right hand. It's been there for years, as it doesn't hurt I kept forgetting to ask about it. Apparently mine is some kind of swelling which could be injected with steroid to reduce it but as that raises the risk of infection, and it will probably return, I've decided to leave well alone. (I have PsA and OA, I reckon it is PsA-related or just one of those things). My husband has had a pea-sized lump on his forearm for over twenty years, it's a small ganglion.

It may be sensible to make a GPs appointment to have it checked, benign lumps are part-and-parcel of the human condition but until one is sure it is in that group it can make one fret. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Pain and sleep? Try to ensure you have scheduled your pain relief so that (a) you can have some just before bed and (b) (if possible) you also have some left to take in the night if necessary. Pain always seems worse in the small hours.

The lump? I can't remember what type of arthritis you have. If it's rheumatoid it could be a rheumatic nodule. I have several. It does need checking out but is probably harmless.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sparrow75
    Sparrow75 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses! I don’t know how to individually reply as I’m new to this site, I’m sure I’ll figure it out! I’m going to get to the drs this week to have it checked. I spread out my pain relief which is gabapentin, codeine, paracetamol and amitriptyline, I should definitely rattle! lol I also have one of those long hot water bottles that can be wrapped around my lower back or hips- (highly recommend!) and am gluten free and take turmeric which I’ve read helps with inflammation, whether it does or not I don’t know.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Save your valuable energies with a general reply to all as you have done - it's nice and unusual to be thanked.

Turmeric does have anti-inflamatory properties but for it to be effective it has to be eaten in industrial quantities as the body is very good at excreting it. As the source of the pain is erosion and damage nothing can ameliorate the discomfort but the placebo effect can be effective in reducing one's perception of pain. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hello sparrow and welcome to the forums from me too :)

I don't know if you already have this, but some medications can be given in 'slow-release' form. Pain patches give constant relief and suit me well also my anti inflammatory (arcoxia) is a 24 hour tablet. Both help keep pain down overnight.

Take care

Toni xx