Litlle update on my op

Eliane27
Eliane27 Member Posts: 9
edited 12. Dec 2019, 01:17 in Living with arthritis
Hi everybody little update.
So yesterday I had an appointment with the surgeon that is going to do my hip replacement.
He said that my operation needs to been done in 2021 instead of 2020 as planned because I still have a little more growing to do.
Quite disappointed,spent my evening crying.
But life is not a straight line it's full of ups and downs and i will stay strong and get through this.

I have been experienced more pain than before.
I have been using biofreeze flexiseq which works it makes me feel less pain but stil my leg can be quite stiff and sore.

Would any of you recommend any other ways to deal with pain. (EMS, creams,medication...)

Thanks for your help
Cheers
Eliane

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's a sensible surgeon. Vital not to mess up the op in advance by doing it before the bones have stopped growing. I thought that was early 20s but maybe I got that wrong.

Pain relief? I go for (a) distraction (b) exercises and, when necessary (c) pain relief meds. as prescribed by my GP.. I never use commercial stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Eliane good to see you back on the forum.

So sorry to hear of the increase in pain, although the surgeon does seem sensible in waiting for your bones to stop growing. Can well understand the disappointment :cry:

The Versus Arthritis website has a good general page on managing pain. The section on self-help may prove your best starting point.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

It may also be worth talking to your doctor/consultant about being referred to a Pain Clinic in the meantime until the operation takes place.

You may also be interested in a new app: the Arthritis Tracker, which has loads of help and also the opportunity to make suggestions for future improvements:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/young-people/arthritis-tracker-for-teens-app/

If things get bad and you need to talk to someone in confidence who understands, do ring our free Helpline 0800 5200 520 Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm

Do come back and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh Eliane what a disappointment :shock: :( You must be gutted to say the least!

This next year needs to go by super-fast and it will use every technique available to cope with the pain and use the time to get and stay as fit as possible so you make a good recovery.

Keep in touch

Love

Toni x