New member.. needing advice

Options
Tashhaa
Tashhaa Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone.
I'm only 21 so I'm gutted, yet not suprised my doctor thinks I have Reactive arthritis. This is my third flare up and I'm in agony. I live on my own with my 4 year old daughter and walking to school (all pain is in my knees!) In the morning and afternoon is just agony. I'm currently on napraxen(sorry think its called that) and codien but I'm not getting much relief. I have to go back on Monday, possibly for some steriods.
Ive never really been healthy :-( I have low iron (which doesnt go up much) and low immune system. If there's a cold going round i will catch it. So far in just the last 3 months, I have had a urine infection, kidney infection, chest infection, all of which were bad enough to need antibiotics... and now this. I could really do with some support.
Thankyou.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome,sorry you've had to though - you will find members here very supportive and I'm sure you will get any answers you seek,our helpline no is 08005200520 if you feel the need to ask/talk to them and I hope you find the forums useful.
    Al
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am sorry you have had to find us. I was born with auto-immune stuff in the dark ages before steroid creams and inhalers so know what it is like to be not as others are. Back when I began my first arthritis in 1997 my then GP hadn't a clue so I went for years with nothing, things on the diagnosis front have improved which is good.

I think you are learning one of the hardest lessons there is about arthritis in that the meds do not remove all of the symptoms: they never have and they never will which, when one is used to meds sorting things comes as a shock. Who has diagnosed you with Reactive Arthritis (RcTA) and do they know what triggered it? RcTA is unusual in that it can clear but that can take a very long time and any further infection can trigger it again. My toes and knees have the first arthritis, my ankles, knees and hips the second so completely understand walking pain. I use aids and have done since 2002, they do nothing to reduce the pain but have possibly helped to slow the progression of the disease. I stress however that my kind is different to yours, we have had people with RcTA on here before but they don't stay.

Steroids can be of use but they only mask the trouble and they affect the whole body which is why their use is limited. The meds I take for my arthritis reduce my immune system so I am zealous over hand hygeine, both mine and that of others, and always have anti-bac wipes and hand gel to hand. Infections are easily spread and contracted, having a germ factory cunningly disguised as a four year old living with you won't help :wink:

I've forgotten what it is like to be young and decided against having children so I am of little relevance to you but I do understand pain: it's with me 24/365. It ain't fun but I know it won't change: it could well be different for you but only time will tell. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Tashhaa

It's lovely to meet you. Sadly I do know what it's like to been in pain and have to look after young children on your own. When mine were 5 and 8 I had to have back surgery following years of agony and it wasn't easy.

Firstly I did accept some help from other parents with school 'runs' - is that possible even if only sometimes???

Secondly are you going to get to see someone (rheumatology?) for treatment for your Reactive Arthritis?

Thirdly your GP seems to be doing his/her best with pain relief codeine and naproxen are good meds and help lots of people. Would it help at all if you had some walking aids to take the pressure off your sore knees. When my youngest was MUCH younger (she's your age now!) I used to lean on her pushchair it helped a bit :?

Take care now and keep in touch

Toni xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Tashhaa and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

Sorry to hear you are suffering from Reactive arthritis and are now on your third flare up :(

Our website may have some useful information for you regarding the subject and has some advice on coping and managing the pain.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/reactive-arthritis/

If you do need to talk to someone in confidence, call our free Helplines on
    0800 5200 520 Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm

Don't hesitate to ask questions here and do come back to let us know how you are getting on.

All best wishes
    Brynmor