Hi Everyone

Options
Lamac19
Lamac19 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all. I've been trawling this forum for weeks and have finally got my brave up to post. Sorry my situation has been ongoing for a few months, so I may go on.
I'm 46 and have been healthy all my life. apparently not menopausal 😁

I've had elbow pain for quite a long time along with aches and pain in back , neck, legs, feet which I always put down to a hard day! Out of the blue 6 months ago I had a sore arm, couldn't even lift a cup of tea, then the other arm started. I went to the dr after a few weeks who ran bloods etc. they tested for lymes, thyroid all the usual, all were negative, then weeks later with no relief from the pain ran more tests but found no rhumatoid factor or indeed inflammation in my results. I'm still in pain, although some days I feel much worse than others. I'm going on Thursday to have bloods repeated. Is it possible to have arthritis with no inflammation?
I feel like the dr just wants me to keep taking the pain relief and go away...
Thanks for reading.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lamac19 and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums. We are a safe and friendly place where you find support and answers to questions regarding arthritis in all its very many forms.

If your pain is in the muscles rather than the joints, then you may have some sort of fibromyalgia. However, none of us here are medically qualified and can not give a safe medical diagnosis :)

Do take a look at our website where you will find further information that may help you and also support any discussions you have with your doctor.

Arthritis: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/arthritis/

Fibromyalgia: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/fibromyalgia/

You may also wish to talk to someone in full confidence. Contact our free Helplines on 0800 5200 520 (Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm)

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, if you have been reading the forum for a while then you will probably have read what I am going to write: for both our sakes I will keep it short. :lol:

I have psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis. The first one is a sero-negative form of auto-immune arthritis, i.e. rheumatoid factor is not present. It began in my left knee and the inflammation never dispersed, choosing instead to solidify under the new production. Many years later matters are controlled by medication but it can still flare and the inflammation affects my whole body, leading to much increased tiredness and lethargy.

Any inflammation caused by my osteo is localised, temporary and disperses after rest. I have no idea if it is the same kind of inflammation as the other as people with osteo do not have the same regimen of blood tests as those on immuno-suppressant meds.

I also have fibromyalgia which for me is manifest in more lethargy and very tender muscles. I'm not having a good day today on a number of fronts so will leave now & return when able. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lamac19
    Options
    I'm probably not very good at explaining my symptoms, I do have joint pain, in my fingers , elbows, shoulders and one hip, not just muscular. Fibro has been mentioned (by the GP) but as there is family history ( dad and sister) of auto immune disorders I think they are not dismissing me completely. I have been under quite some stress recently and realise this has a huge impact. I'm just fed up being sore. I feel like my movement is limited because of pain. I've another 22 years to retirement, I need to be fit to work.
    tcold tcold
    I've made the fatal mistake of sitting down now and really cannot be bothered to get up and make the dinner 😂
    A x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, after a two hour sleep I return completely unrefreshed. :lol:

GPs know a little about a lot so when they see blood results without a positive rheumatoid factor they think that an auto-immune arthritis is not on the table. Sadly this is not the case. There are around three hundred auto-immune inflammatory conditions so an accurate diagnosis can be tricky; I wasn't properly diagnosed for nine years and when I was it changed nothing in terms of treatment or outcome. Hey-ho. I was always a candidate for auto-immune junk as I was born with eczema and developed asthma aged seven, both auto-immune inflammatory conditions.

We are not doctors but it definitely sounds as though something is going on which needs further investigation by those in the qualified know at the blunt end of matters as opposed to us unqualified but deeply experienced at the sharp end. DD
  • Lamac19
    Options
    Thank you DD for taking time to respond...I'm away to do more research on Psoratic Arthritis x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Lamac19 I always advise people to go to the Dr with someone if they feel they can.

It's stops us being/feeling 'fobbed off' by our GPs. I addition they can be a useful 2nd pair of ears.

Best of luck and do let us know how you get on

Toni xx
  • Lamac19
    Options
    Oh man my appt at the gp's didn't go well, I only saw the phlebotomist who took bloods relating to my high BP and then took my BP which was scarily high. She was most concerned and asked if I was stressed, :roll: actually, this is really really sore! And you've just told me I've gained a stone in weight. 2nd go at BP, even higher. Another follow up with the GP after new year. Do I just start pushing for referral? At what stage will my GP decide that they've ruled out all they can? This is so frustrating.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Oh dear! BP tests and blood tests are rarely a good combination. And white coat syndrome invariably pushes the BP up. But it's good that they're trying and referring you back to the GP.

With any autoimmune arthritis it's often a matter of eliminating lots of other problems before an accurate diagnosis can be made. This takes time and is frustrating but essential. Stress will always make any kind of arthritis worse so trying to relax is probably your best bet right now. Tips - don't focus on pain, find distractions, don't overdo things. Yup, I know it's Christmas but...... Delegate. And good luck :D
    t78020
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lamac19
    Options
    Thanks folks, going to chill and try to forget about it all until my next appointment. Hope you all have a happy Christmas. Xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    GPs know a little about a lot and phlebos know a little about a little. None of them are expert in arthritis or the possibility of arthritis, none of them are living with your symptoms, pain and pressures - it is very easy for me to say ignore them and focus on enjoying the festive period (I am very experienced in ignoring medics having a flap about stuff) but it is really the best thing you could do.

Delegate, delegate and delegate some more, stuff will still be done albeit diferently and you will be saving your precious energies, giving your body a break from the extra stresses and strains we all face at this time of year, especially when female. I have knowingly overdone things in the past fortnight so am now giving up and resting for the next three days so I can last Christmas Day: with no children, visiting relatives or pets that is very easy to do, very different for those who are encumbered / lumbered! DD
  • RavenHairedPixie
    RavenHairedPixie Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi! I would push for a referral. I have been diagnosed recently with rheumatoid arthritis. My blood tests were all absolutely fine and showed nothing however my MRI scans showed everything!!
    The only reason I even had them is because I’m lucky enough to have some private healthcare through work so I could push for it myself instead of having to ask my GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk