Double wrist fusion

Options
Charw
Charw Member Posts: 12
edited 19. Dec 2019, 15:42 in Living with arthritis
Hi All,

Has anyone had both wrists fused?
I’m tiny and pose some curve balls for rheumy and surgeons! My left wrist was fused in 2015 using a finger plate. This is now “piano keying” over the ulna.
Investigations are being done to see if this needs another op.

My right wrist is nothing short of a mess & it’s extremely likely that fusion is my only option. Although the surgeon is concerned for the challenges I’m going to have to face. They are doing investigations to rule out a custom made replacement, but told its a very slim chance and to not get my hopes up.

I want to know honestly if it’s really hard with both wrists fused? What are the challenges? How long did it take to feel comfortable using both?

Thank you :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Carw and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

I'm sorry to hear that your are having to undergo surgery on your wrists. However, the timing of your post is miraculous as we have a current thread on wrist fusion running on the forum :D

Link: https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=51167

Applemouse was asking if there was anyone with experience of a wrist fusion, and Dorcas, who has had many operations, including ones on both wrists, was able to reply.

With your own previous operations, it would be well worth joining this conversation and adding your own experience as well as asking your own questions.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Due to RA> OA over many years my wrists fused themselves ages ago. I don't find it a problem at all. In fact, I love it because, before they fused, the were exceedingly painful. Now they don't hurt at all. Due to the arthritis everywhere else my case will be different from yours. To be honest, I can't remember how a normal wrist works or what they can do but I'm happy with mne.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Charw
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. 30 years of JIA has destroyed most of my joints but my wrists are by far the worst. My wrists are also fusing themselves but I think I’d rather they were in a fixed position that was chosen rather than wait to see how they turn out.

Have you had any other operations for your arthritis?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh yes :roll: I was diagnosed over 50 years ago, pre modern DMARDS. 3 TKRs and 2 THRs.

My wrists fused in a good, straight position thanks, probably, to judicious use of splints when it was all happening. My ankles did .....well....fairly similar. My feet do stick out in the 10 minutes to 2 position but they work.
    Steven Wright
  • Charw
    Options

Hi both,

just an update. 8.5 weeks post fusion, I am ready to return to work next week. I had my xrays last week and doctor is happy with it.

the hand physio managed to move the last of the fluid and this time it’s stayed down and movements are starting to get easier.

I am now able to start weaning the splint.

ive found a few things difficult but I’ve found ways/Aids to overcome those things already.

hope you’re well.

• stickywicket
    Options

Great nenws! I'm very pleased for you. I would guess you've put in a fair bit of physio to get where you are but it's lovely when it all pays off. As for 'finding ways of overcoming' the difficult things - I hink we get very practised at that😀

Steven Wright
  • Bobricl
    Bobricl Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi there

I am diagnosed with wrist arthritis after an injury. I am in pain right now. I had steroid injection, didn't help me at all. Look like is worse than before. Right now I am in universal credit because I can't work. Probably will have to stop soon, because I don't have anymore fit note to provide my illness. Can you please help me what to do? Eventually to find some jobs using only one hand!

Thank you

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hi @Bobricl and welcome to the online community,

I see that you were diagnosed with wrist arthritis after an injury and are currently in pain. You are on universal credit but you don’t think you will be on it for much longer. Although it may be challenging to return to work, you are entitled to support from your employer, and if you are unable to work, there may be other benefits you can apply for. Have a look at the Versus Arthritis web page below - it’s a useful guide to your rights and entitlements:

I’m also posting a link to some simple exercises that might help with your wrist pain - remember to start slowly and gently.

I noticed that you’ve posted on a thread from last year - perhaps you could make a new post on the ‘ Living with Arthritis’ forum and you might get some more replies from other members.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Bobricl
    Bobricl Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you very much for your help Anna!

• Charw
    Options

Thought I’d come back to this 3.5 years post second fusion…, it’s not easy, the second wrist fixed at a very awkward position. Saying that adapting when you’ve had a lifelong disability is part of your personality. I’ve found things/ways to adapt to having 2 fused wrists and a right hand that I can only describe as a claw. It’s really really challenging when elbows/shoulders are restricted though. Saying that the pain relief of fusion is incomparable…. I still get pain in my wrists but compared to before it’s amazing.

if you are reading this as you have been offered wrist fusion, I wouldn’t hesitate. Recovery is tough but the pain relief is worth it.

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 272
    Options

Hello @Charw

Thank you for updating us. It's good to read the experiences of others and I'm sure your posts will help people having to make the decision over fusion.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm