Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

However your life is impacted by arthritis we want to understand more about you so that we can make sure we continue to develop our information, support and services such as the online community.

If you've not already, please take 5 -10 minutes to fill in our survey. All information you provide will remain anonymous and be treated in the strictest confidence. TAKE OUR SURVEY

Hello need advice on work

choust14choust14 Posts: 3
edited 13. Jan 2020, 08:11 in Work and Financial
Hi everyone I'm new here. My name is Claire. I was diagnosed fairly recently with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis - it really impacts a lot on my life but mostly the right side of my body. I've had it for a long time but they chalked it all up to my mind until I went private.
I can't even type for any length of time, if it wasn't for Dragon software I'd be lost!
I used to be a support worker but with the pain and muscular weakness I have it's just not feasible.
I asked on the Facebook but they gave me SCOPE which according to their website is England and Wales.
Does anyone know of organisations in Scotland that can help me get back into some kind of work? To know what to say and how to present myself?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• moderatormoderator Posts: 4,095 mod
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Claire,

Welcome to the forum! Please know you have come to the right place for advice and support.

I have provided a link below from the Versus Arthritis website which contains information on various workshops and support groups located in Scotland.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/in-your-area/scotland/

Hopefully there will be information on there that you find useful.

There is also our helpline team available on 0800 5200 520 (Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm) who can help provide you with more information on the services available in Scotland.

Please also join in any of the forums here where you feel comfortable.

Best Wishes,
    Alice
  • choust14choust14 Posts: 3
    Hello Alice,

Thank you so much for replying!
    I'll definitely check that out.

Best wishes,

Claire
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭
    Hello, I am sorry to read of your diagnosis, I too have a sero-negative kind, psoriatic, plus osteoarthritis. My creaky cup runneth over. :roll:

As things turned out I was fortunate in that I started my own little business around a year before the PsA began (I was 37) so it was a bonus to be my own boss. As I deteriorated I was able to tailor things to suit my needs so I crumbled on for seventeen years. Could self-employment be an option for your skill set? It's not the whole answer but it is a more 'comfortable' option for those of us with compromised, painful bodies. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MoWWMoWW Posts: 32 mod

Hi Claire,

We have the Versus Arthritis Working Well service in Scotland, this service provides information, guidance and signposting to help people remain or return to work.

Contact [email protected] to arrange a time to chat.

Mo

• Mike1Mike1 Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

Hi Claire, like DD I ended my working life as self-employed and was able to adjust my work according to how my OA was affecting me. Perhaps if you cannot do your current role as a self-employed person you could develop a hobby into a business. I would certainly use the Working Well service to help you out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.