Going back to the Gym

colinreid
colinreid Member Posts: 10
edited 17. Jan 2020, 03:02 in Living with arthritis
Hey guys.

It has been 7 weeks since my big toe fusion surgery which has now healed. I had my 2nd check-up with the surgeon and podiatrist and they said that I could go back to the gym, but I feel like it's still too early. Should I wait till after 12 weeks or 3 months that it says online to start sports or just wait till I feel confident enough?

Colin -

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Colin, this is purely a personal opinion from someone with no medical expertise at all but many years of experience of arthritis and of joint replacement.

On that basis I'd say what's the rush? Why risk 'spoiling the ship for a 'ha'p'orth of tar'? You don't feel ready so don't do it. Continue with whatever physio you were given and bide your time. The gym's not going anywhere.

And, when you do start, start slowly. Don't take up where you left off. Here I do have some experience as whenever I have to stop exercising I resume again very slowly, gently and carefullly, building up gradually.

Be the winning tortoise not the hare :D And good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • colinreid
    colinreid Member Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Colin, this is purely a personal opinion from someone with no medical expertise at all but many years of experience of arthritis and of joint replacement.

On that basis I'd say what's the rush? Why risk 'spoiling the ship for a 'ha'p'orth of tar'? You don't feel ready so don't do it. Continue with whatever physio you were given and bide your time. The gym's not going anywhere.

And, when you do start, start slowly. Don't take up where you left off. Here I do have some experience as whenever I have to stop exercising I resume again very slowly, gently and carefullly, building up gradually.

Be the winning tortoise not the hare :D And good luck.

I guess your right. I will wait till I feel like I'm ready