Boswellia Serrate - Tried it?

Christopher88
Christopher88 Member Posts: 4
edited 24. Jan 2020, 04:23 in Living with arthritis
I was wondering if anyone has ever used, Boswellia Serrate?

I have reading numerous medical studies and the impact it has seems to be beneficial, but I'm unsure of the dosage or if it needs to be combined with turmeric to ensure relief is found.

I take numerous tablets (like us all!) and would like a herbal method to cut back on the medication, which makes me ill at times..

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Christopher88,

This is a gum resin found in a particular species of Frankinsence, and so far I cannot find any studies linked to this that haven't been funded by the producers of this medication, so I would be wary of taking this at all personally.

If you are already taking other medications it's very important to check with your chemist before adding anything else into the mix, there can be very strange interactions eg St John's Wort interfering with the usefulness of the pill.

Yvonne
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am not sure why people equate 'natural' with being harmless and side-effect free, many a muder mystery is based on the slow poisoning of a character with natural materials (apricot kernels are very rich in cyanide, chia seeds (so beloved of the wellness & clean-eating twerps) are highly toxic). Manufactured meds take the best of the useful natural stuff and are produced in regulated environments. Of course they can upset the body as every physiology is unique but alternatives or changed dosage can help.

Turmeric does have an effective anti-inflammatory component but for it to be of any use it has to be consumed, daily, in industrial quantities because the liver is extremely effective at processing it through the body: someone posted recently they'd been taking it for two years with no benefit. The pedlars of this kind of junk rely on the ignorance of their target market, those with no medical or pharmacology training or knowledge but who are in pain and in search of relief.
    Let's face it, it's a rich, unending seam to mine and who doesn't like making an easy buck? I suppose it can make the purchaser feel as though they are taking some action against their condition thus triggering the placebo effect: that is itself of value but there are other ways to achieve it.

I trust the knowledge of my doctors and pharmacists. I am currently enduring a rather nasty flare of my psoriatic arthritis, as a friend sarcastically put it 'Serves you right for taking off your copper bracelet.' All the natural and medical junk in the world ain't gonna shift this baby until my body decides it's had enough and the meds shove my immune system back in its dirty little box. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    This might be of use
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/types-of-complementary-treatments/indian-frankincense/
    As has been said, natural does not automatically mean safe, and interactions with prescription drugs(or indeed other 'natural' remedies) can be a problem.
  • Robin
    Robin Member Posts: 3
    Hello there
    I got quite excited after reading about boswelia. No improvement after taking it for 6 months.
    I guess if it had any affect it would be on prescription.
    I put turmeric in my evening meal. No obviouse improvement.
    Ibuprofen & co codamel are my best friends.
    awaiting results of X ray.
    all the best
    Robin
  • felicityh
    felicityh Member Posts: 25
    If these 'natural' remedies were actually effective with no side effects I am sure they would be available on the NHS as they would probably save a lot of money compared to the medications we use. The producers of these types of products prey on people who are vulnerable and in pain and therefore willing to try anything and everything. These things are also not well researched at all. The little research that does exist is usually very bias (e.g. funded by the manufacturer or not done in a proper scientific manner). The medications we use have gone under extensive testing by numerous companies and independent researchers and are known to be generally safe and effective for most people. If you feel your current medications aren't working as well as you would like or your side effects are unbearable then speak to your doctor as there are other medications out there and they might be better for you. x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    If these 'natural' remedies were actually effective with no side effects I am sure they would be available on the NHS as they would probably save a lot of money compared to the medications we use.
    The process of assessing and trialling any new or alternative treatment is lengthy and expensive - and is usually dependent on the big drug companies seeing the potential. There is work being done in India on this herb, but they have a headstart as it's been used there for hundreds of years so there is a reason to invest in the academic research. We might benefit in due course from that work.
  • Dromgoole
    Dromgoole Watch Posts: 7

Well, I have just started trying Boswellia extract. Have taken it for a week now.

I have had arthritic knee caps for three years now which are painful. I have been taking cod liver oil, Green Lipped Mussel, and CBD oil for a year or more and they helped a little. I have had visco supplement injections twice which did help, but then wore off; and acupuncture on my knee caps from a physio for the last few months which also helped to free up my muscle movement, but the pain was still there.

This last week after taking one Boswellia tablet each day there has been improvement, much less pain in the knee caps and less stiffness in the morning. I will see how it goes over the next few weeks and post again.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Good morning @Dromgoole

Welcome to the Online Community. It's a good place to talk about anything related to any type of arthritis and in our chit chat area you can talk about non related things too!

If you scroll up a little you will see an excellent link given by @daffy2 about this very product. I'm adding a link to complimentary and alternative treatments as I can see you have been trying alternatives as well as Boswellia extract

Looking forward to reading your future posts

Yvonne x

• Update from my previous post on this.

Well, I have been taking Boswellia extract (also known as Indian Frankincense) now for three weeks.

There is a definite improvement, my knees are less painful and walking is easier, but my knees still feel 'stiff'. Hopefully with more walking, Yoga and keeping up with my morning exercises things will improve further.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Just to post this link that we hold on Indian Frankincense which includes a summary of trials carried out into the effects of the remedy on those with osteoarthritis:

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Very interesting study, thanks for posting. It is still a very small sample group, and you have to question why, if it gives significant benefit, it isn’t more widely known. Also interesting to see the placebo group noted improvements as well, so perhaps the placebo effect was in play to some extent on all participants (I’m assuming it was blind testing). Personally I’m also a subscriber to lab tested and approved drugs rather than alternative remedies, for the reasons that @dreamdaisy cites. I’ve yet to find a natural remedy that rebuilds deformed and eroded bone,